Monday, May 08, 2006

Lady luck thumbed her nose

Me and Lady Luck need to come to terms. Or skip the luck part, and I need to make my peace with taking things slow and steady. Regardless of how well you think you can deal with stress and tilt, we are ALL OF US, still suceptible to TILT. And boy, when I go on it, I go ALL IN!
Suffice it to say, what Bodog, has given Bodog can take away, and then some! Fresh back from Las Vegas, and a rather lackluster performance, meaning I didn't make money, I thought "I'll go back to the cash cows at home that I know and love." What I forgot was some of the basics. Slow and steady is the way things work. You can't go for the kill shot, to make a fortune in one fell swoop. You've got to stay within your means. Comfort zones should be established BEFORE you go on tilt, and especially not when you're drinking...at all. I started out losing a little in my normal game range. And got fed up with the up and down, and started looking at the cursed 150-175 range that I remember so well from UB. So I get it in my head to spring board past it. I jump into 2 SNG's for $10 each, finish 3rd in only one of them, for an overall loss. And again, I just barely did that, with a few paltry chips left! So, I determine to go the distance, and crack open another beer. You can see the train cars piling up now can't you! Anyway, suffice it to say I sit down at another table, one with teeth, and money to be made. A 1-2 no limit! Just like I'd played in Vegas. Now I'm a player, now I'm all that and a bag of chips. I'll have my WSOP entry in no time! I get the Mike McDee hand A-9...which I don't know why, is still an underdog favorite hand of mine, so I play it. Me and one other guy, toe to toe. I catch an ace...and my competition is slow to react...there's a couple of Queens out there by the time the River comes around, but he ain't got one, and he makes a last ditch effort to steal away all that money in the middle, so I go way over the top of him, ALL-IN, for the whole enchilada. He pauses, long...I know he doesn't have me, and no way he calls, then the chat window gets active. He's typing..."Sorry Dude!" "I have the NUTS!" Then he calls, and flips over BOTH LADIES and shows me QUADS! I remember now the sinking/sick feeling. It's there, in the pit of my stomach...I wanted to jump right back in there, throw good money back in, to get it back. But I know it doesn't work that way, at least not for me. It's not my money anymore, it belongs to that other guy now. I did it to myself. Now I've got to rebuild...cautiously, and remember clearly that I'm not invulnerable. I can be beaten. BUT, scared money can't win either, so it is a fine line, that I must now walk, due to my own stupidity. I'm still up, overall in my online play, from my initial investment, but I lost over $100 that night, and that stings, and playing at 5 cent 10 cent or 10 cent 25 cent no limit, that is a lot of ground to recover, and at this point, I'm not going to be able to play any higher, because my bankroll suffered.

Enough self pity for today...time to suck it up and get to work, and save my game face for tonight or the next night. The next HPT Freeroll on Noble Poker is on May 17th. I did just setup that account, so I'm good to go. Now, I need to squeeze in the Bodog 100+9 tourney soon, for a Sunday, very soon. Maybe all my bad luck is washed away, and it's time for the swing to go the other way, while I'm working toward a $100,000 prize pool. Now we're talking POKER!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: