Wednesday, November 11, 2009

It went downhill

You see a few of the mobile texting posts from yesterday, as I had joined Frank and headed south to the Cross Lanes Poker Room. The tournament brought me stale cards, but I had glimmer of hope briefly when a stolen pot beefed me back up. Unfortunately the blinds and antes just slowly chipped me out. No pairs, connectors, or face cards for that matter. Busted out 33 out of 95 players. sigh...

Then, on to the cash game. It was VERY loose. Suckout city... So, I played cautious. First hand I got involved in from the button, was 7-8os when it was only $5 to the flop, with EVERYONE in. Why not. The board shows two sevens on the flop. Ooooh goodie for cheer_dad. It checked around to me, so I fumbled around and threw out what looked like a steal for the pot. I got a couple callers. The turn was an 8. I think the table rose a little on my end of it. But the guy in front of me throws out a $20 bet. I feign to throw away (yes, transparent to most players but not these guys.) Then frustrated looking I throw in a raise. He called very slowly... more shrewd than I gave him credit for. He tables his 7-9s for trips. I table my 7s full of 8s for the win and a very nice pot. He had called from early position with a 7-9, in fact I think he's the one that made it $5 in the first place. Hmmmm. BUT, life is good, cheer_dad's actually up for the trip now, despite busting out of the tourney. I order a beer... You can see where this is going. Then, comes the hand. I'm in the small blind, and the whole table is limping in, it rounds back to me, and I finally look down at my cards. I have AQos. I make it $15 straight to go, just content to take it there. Instead I get 3 callers. Oh goodie...BUT as luck would have it, the flop comes out Q-6-4 rainbow. This is a great flop for me. So, I bet out $60, still just wanting to get this done and over... 1 fold, then 2, then wait... WTF, he pauses and looks doubtingly at my cards seemingly challenging that I have a queen in my hand. So much so that he grabs a boat load of greens (far more than enough to put me and my measly stack all in. I think he threw like $200 out there, where I had a lil under $100 left. Everything here pointed to him buying it, the pot had swollen now, a call by me is going to make it in the $360+ neighborhood. I've lost track, my mind, and as you can tell, I'm about to lose all my chips too. I make the call with my top pair top kicker, convinced that he's bullying me, like I've seen he and the other players doing so far tonight. I call it, and he says immediately I "just" got middle set... 666, the mark of the beast. I've just been owned. Nice hand sir, I'll call it a night after that. No, sense throwing good money after bad.

To any of my readers, where did I go wrong on this... other than actually showing UP in the card room in the first place? Did the chips inevitably end up in the pot, no matter? Anything I could've done? Was I just destined to lose it all here? Should I just suck it up, and quit the bitching, or what do I actually "learn" here? I await any comments you may have...

Regards,

cheer_dad

1 comment:

Smarta88 said...

Just suck it up! Did you feel you were beat when you called? Go with your gut!