Friday, May 18, 2007

7 Things You Didn't Know About Me...


Well, I didn't get "tagged" with this Blog Topic, like so many of the Bloggers that I read on a daily basis, courtesy of Google Reader, but I've really enjoyed the topic. Each of the bloggers left a piece of themselves in those posts. Some all too willing to share, while others seemed overtly dismayed at having to write about themselves at all, preferring to wall themselves behind whatever their personal topic du jour might be, rather than having the blog be about them, by them... No matter, there was a lot of great writing out their gang...I call you gang, although none of you have even heard of me or my little fledgling blog. Maybe one day that'll change. But in response to the topic "7 Things You Didn't Know About Me..." I'll pretend I was tagged, and away we go:
1. I talk to myself...and I talk A LOT! I converse with myself, do you understand that the voices in my head will never hold a candle to what I'm saying to myself? Despite what people think, I reason through every day responses for eternities in my head. I try not to say random things, most things that I say, I have thoroughly thought out and weighed all the pros and cons before I even open my mouth. It may not seem that way to you, but it's true. My logic and reasoning may be off, from what you may think the reality to be, but make no mistake, I did think it through. I probably had a little inner argument with myself before I started in on you. So I'm already geared up for battle.
2. I'm not a confident person, and I like to avoid a lot of social interaction, which flies in the face of my hosting poker tournaments and games at the house all of the time doesn't it. In some ways I'm backward, and feel awkward around others. I don't think others are pushy, it's just that they have confidence which I do not possess. I frequently second guess myself. Alcohol takes some of this edge off, so for this reason, I do enjoy a few drinks. This relaxes me and allows me to move more methodically at the poker table. My moves are deliberate. I push...when I get involved in a hand...and push hard. I will seldom involve myself in a hand that I'm not ready to go clear to the mat with. Perhaps I'm tight to a fault? What is it that they call 'em "ROCKS." I'm realizing a new stage in my game...I don't have to put on the mask of uber-tight aggressive. That's what I'm known for. And if I've entered then everyone knows I've got something worth being in the hand with. I'm realizing now that I need to use it as an advantage. Not necessarily though for more bluffing, since I think it is a MUCH OVER USED skill among most players. Bluffing should have style and finesse, and I see that lacking all too often in the bluffs I watch go down. Many people think their bluffs are successful, just because I've folded. What they forget is many times, I just don't have the hand to capitalize on what I've already figured out. One day though I will and I'll key in on that same tell that you thought you didn't have, or maybe even thought you had suppressed.
3. I'm out of shape now...but 8 years ago I ran a marathon, in Columbus, OH. Again, I was absolutely obsessed by running. I ran all the time. 30-35 miles a week just to be doing it. I ran with a group for a while, but began to enjoy my solo runs even more. They were all about "me time." I did a lot of my best deep thinking and introspection during long runs. When the becomes fatigued and borders on exhaustion the mind wanders, and thoughts rise to the surface that you have thought in years. You dwell on the past, think about the future, and ponder the present all at the same time. I really miss my running days, and need to start over ALL over again. You did it once, don't know why you quit, but it was a big part of you that you should really get back.
4. At the ripe old age of 39 I STILL can't grow a mustache to save my life. There I've said it...I guess I'm just a little girlie man.
5. I'm not real big on surprises. I like things to move very fluidly, without interruption, otherwise I feel a bit out of control of things. I can really only recall one surprise that I actually enjoyed/appreciated. That was my 30th birthday surprise party that Big Red put together. Between the shots of all of birthday presents : ) and going out on the dance floor in my new silk heart decorated boxers, well let's just say it was a night to remember. I only wish I could!
6. In the back of my mind there is still an odd fear that any day now, someone will point out that I'm a complete fraud...at everything. Like I'm some poser, that made it all up. I'm talking not just about in my job, but just in my life in general. You know that the me I say I am...isn't really the truth at all. AND no, I'm not some schmo in a witness relocation program, and I didn't lie on a resume or anything, but it's just one of those rather un-natural (or at least weird) fears.
7. I taught myself to juggle one afternoon with three children's building blocks, when my now 14-year old daughter was a toddler. I put her down for her nap, and was left to my own devices one afternoon, and finding nothing on TV, I obsessively figured out the juggling concept and then taught myself to do it. I remember when she woke up that she thought it was pretty cool. You know what, so did I! So, much so that I taught someone else how I did it...a few weeks later at work. I won't name names, but yeah...you know who you are.
Well there you have it...the me that is me...
Regards,
cheer_dad

No comments: