Wednesday, August 29, 2007

D'OH



Well that didn't work. : )

I thought since the failed CarbonPoker (blackjack) experiment failed horribly, I'd move back to UB. (Easy decision as I've squandered all the Carbon money.) So, I've been reading, knowledge is power, yadayadayada... Thought I'd try to maximize by 3-tabling $10+$1 SNG's. In total I played 6 of these. I lost ALL of them. Now, let me qualify here. Instead of playing my typical, tighter 'n hell game, a la "Welcome to the Rock" style, I tried to model after the "small ball" strategy that is espoused by Daniel Negraneau and Erik Lindgren. Now, I won't pretend to be an expert at it, BUT the goal is to take small victories, see LOTS of flops for cheap, use position, but don't get overly greedy, and be able to walk away from your hand. The strategy is intended to allow you survive the early and middle rounds, and leave yourself with a chipstack that is formidable enough to play with in the latter rounds. Unfortunately, I would get pairs in late position, to an unopened pot, and push slightly but reasonably and get destroyed EVERY TIME with someone's pocket overpair. I pushed once with pocket 3's and ALL but the shortest stack called w/pocket 4's, D'OH!!! I raised with pocket 9's, and was called by the first to act with pocket Queens. Heck by the river he hit his set. I had AQos greeted by Cowboys, and I couldn't find an ace in the deck. I flopped a straight and pushed, and was greeted by the guy who flopped the HIGHER friggin' straight. I had pocket Kings cracked by a J-9os, when he hit four to the flush on the river with his Jack of Clubs. I was heckled by that guy. Then I got heckled again at another table by a guy who called me down to the river, and I flipped over top pair, which I wasn't overly proud of, but he wasn't pushing. He mucked, but said..."Donkey can't get away from his pairs!" But WTF!!!??? He didn't have a pair and had to muck, and kept calling, but I'm the donkey. I wasn't going overboard with the bets either, I was prepared to drop if I got pushed. After the smoke cleared on the SNG's without a win to my name...I sat down at a .50/1.00 NLHE table, w/ the table max $100. I went through 35 hands before hitting anything even worth playing. Really, and this wasn't me being tight. I even started keeping track of what my hands woulda been if I'd played, and I still wasn't hitting crap. So, there again, I watched my buyin begin to dwindle very slowly. Oh boy this is lots of fun...just getting blinded out. I finally hit from position A-Qos, raised and everyone folded (well of course, I hadn't had a hand to play up til then, so everyone friggin' knew I had something. Very next hand is pocket Cowboys, luckily this time, some guy minimum raises to $2, preflop, and gets 3 callers preflop before it gets to me...I raise the pot and of course everyone folds. Next hand I get pocket 8's and it folds around to me, and I raise to a measly $4, and the blinds fold. Time for bed, and licking my wounds. Dropped the $60 SNG buyins, made back "maybe" the $1 fees associated with each. So dropped a total of $60. Last attempt of the experiment (if time permits tonight) play the same number of SNG's this time, going back to my roots. All old school on 'em. ONLY premium hands from position. Wait 'em out. Get down to the final four and pray for a hand. Feels like chicken shit poker, and maybe it is. I know I take a ration of it for playing that way, and have tried to broaden my game, but hell I'm getting spanked with everything else I try. Maybe I just need to face facts...that I really SUCK at this game. And just call it quits. No mas! Here's the thing...if I drop the UB account back to $300, I'm cashing out, what I have online. The level of frustration just isn't worth it. Especially just continually bleeding off the bankroll. I blame myself for the blackjack farce...that was me, plain and simple just fed up with the going nowhere poker, that I'm playing. But I'm running seriously cold, unlucky, stupid...or something. But it's all getting hard to swallow...and wahwahwah!!! Fuckin' cry pretty for me!!!

On a lighter note...the Yanok game is Friday. I have absolutely no expectation of doing well. I'm just gonna play it uber-straight. Play my "game of old," and see what happens. Back to playin' on the belly. That's what I'm going to shift to it online too, and see where it goes. Wish me luck, unless of course you are the competition, in which case, lately I suck...take my money!!!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: