Thursday, August 23, 2007

Wage Slave


The "Debt" got its pound of flesh out of me today. There really is no end in sight to the madness at work. Arbitrary decisions, conflicting goals, inconsistent enforcement throughout the organization, lip service to customer service but no proof in the pudding. Each day I see larger roadblocks to accomplishing actual work. Metrics be the buzz word of the day. It's all about measuring it...and not about doing it. So much so that the work disappears behind the shadow of tracking it. More focus is placed on opening and closing trouble tickets, and service requests than actually accomplishing the associated work. No recourse but to keep showing up and doin' the job though. Happiness, joy, job satisfaction all things of the past, and they're not showing any signs of returning ANY TIME soon. Man, this really bites.
How do decisions get made in an organization which create such dismal working conditions. I think the lot of us is FED up. I keep expecting to show up to work tomorrow and find that half the people quit and moved on a greener pasture. Other days, I keep expecting someone to go postal, and start mowing we lemmings down. Duck and cover...or is it hunker down and pray for daylight.
I wish I could end this on a positive note...but can't.
Regards,
cheer_dad

No comments: