Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Oh what a night...

What a day...er...uhhh...night...it was?
Yesterday's day at work got a nightcap added on! At around 9:45pm last night, I get called by our HelpDesk. One of my guys is still in there working on a failed server. Your standard Dell variety OLD P.O.S. Long past it's good ole days...being propped up on its last leg. He sounds tired and frustrated by the process. I brew a pot of coffee, stop at McDonald's to pick him up a couple burgers and head in. There's a pile of cardboard and styrofoam strewn all over the server room, from the myriad parts and gizmo's that the tech has replaced so far...still no love from the server. Still on the conference call with Dell we continue the troubleshooting process. We finally get to a point, where after all these hours, it is determined that we're basically screwed and starting from scratch, with a vanilla install of Windows and then restoring from tape backup. A comedy of errors ensues, fueled by a lack of sleep and two guys who have been down this road just a few too many times. Suffice it to say that despite being plagued by an oddball keyboard error, 3 failed disks, a whacked out raid configuration, and too much caffeine, by 4:00am, we were on the restore step. I finally left at around 7:00am. I called in later, only to learn that because this server had originally been upgraded (many moons ago) that the install path was different than the default, and that the restore...yeah you guessed it...wasn't going to work and a new job would be kicked off. A tired mind is a terrible thing to waste on a problem. Anyway...it sounds like things are starting to head in the right direction now. I stayed home, and got some rest, and of course played a little poker on Bodog. I climbed out of the drunk hole that I fell into, the other night after the dog track. Now, if I can just nurture the Bodog cash into something of meaning, something of value. Something that resembles the crapload of cash that I donked off, and/or blackjacked away.

I'm hoping to hear back from another blogger. I commented on his last post, and told him that I'd be curious to hear about the hands selection criteria he employs, and style of play online. He's playing massive hands...even though the stakes seem a bit tame, he's making a "living" or at least a profit at it. His expectation of variance is there, BUT his expectation of what he "can" and "will" win is surprisingly (to me) HIGH! I fear that I've set my sites low and it is possible that what has happened has been as a result of this. You know the power of positive thinking and all that, right?!

Sounds like Big Red and I are headed out to dinner with friends tonight, so I still need to rest up a bit, after last night, so I'll call this a post.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: