Tuesday, August 25, 2009

A trip to the White House

This is going to be a pretty cool week! Well at the least the end of it will be anyway... The whole cheer_dad clan is going to DC on Friday. Thanks to the quick thinking of "Uncle June" and a special invitation a group of us is making the trip to our nation's capital Friday morning. We have been included in a private tour of the White House. Maybe that's not such a big deal to some of you, but hey it makes me feel pretty special, so let me have my little moment, okay?

We've decided to make a weekend mini vacation out of it. We are getting a hotel, and taking the kids along, despite the fact that they will have just started school on Wednesday. I figure anything that requires a background investigation by the U.S. Secret Service to attend should probably be considered worthy of missing a day of public education. Am I right?

Of course we'll do additional sightseeing while we are there, but despite the fact that some of us have been to DC a number of times before, we've never been to a White House tour. I think years ago, this was a much more common thing to go on this tour, but now it requires some preplanning and special permission. If I'm wrong, let me keep my delusion.

So, other stops on the sightseeing tour I want to make sure to hit for the sake of my kids are the Washington Monument, Lincoln Memorial, Jefferson Memorial, and possibly a stop at some of the Museums of the Smithsonian. Of course the Viet Nam and Korean War Memorials are also close by. Lots to do, lots to see, and just a lot to experience. We're all really looking forward to it. I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures taken that I'll post up here to the blog. Even Cole says he wants to take a lot of pictures. He's excited about the trip. He said he was going to take pictures in the White House, but I had to tell him that that is not permitted. His words, "well that's stupid! Who does the President think he is?" My answer was "... well it's just the rules son, and the President didn't make 'em, but he IS after all the President, so he probably could have anyway..."

But enough about that for now, I'm sure I'll post up a full trip report later on. For now, I've got to head off to training. I'm once again in class, the Bureau seems to want to make me into some kinda leader. Go ahead all of you, laugh it up, get it out of your systems now... Glad I could add a little humor to your lives.

Have a great day!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: