Wednesday, January 30, 2008

The plot thickens...


Okay, to many of you I know the number crunching from the last post was laughable. I mean really here's some schmo lamenting about trying to raise $1,000 in the span of like 155 days to run his fool ass off to Vegas again to "watch" the start of the WSOP 2008 Main Event. The poor schmuck (sp) is so pathetic that he's questioning whether or not he could raise that kinda money...and even chops it down to daily and weekly poker winnings required to get the job done. Yeah, it was pretty sad. And yeah I'm a pathetic loser. But unfortunately for all you nay-sayers out there, now I'm dangerous. I'm a loser with a hair-brained idea! Building on the insanity of yesterday's post...and fueled by morbid curiosity, I logged onto PokerRewards last night, and fired up 2 (count 'em two) .10/.20 NLHE tables (maximum buy-in a whopping $20 each.) Considering what I still have online you'll recognize that was a sizeable chunk of it. Incidentally, I had to scratch my head a little when I saw the cute little balance. It was a tad bigger than I'd remembered, then it dawned on... while I was in Vegas, running bad live, and in a drunken stupor I fired up the laptop late one night and played a $10 SNG and finished in 3rd place, in addition to garnering a few bucks at a simultaneous ring game that I was playing. I know...what was I thinkin'. And Frank where the hell were you and why didn't you stop me! Anyway...back on track... I didn't start out so well on the 1st table (which is why I fired up the second game) when I flopped an open ended straight draw and pushed everyone out of the pot but the one guy who had a gutshot straight draw. Neither of us made it, in fact we each had at least one of the others outs! However, I was going for the King high straight and numb-nuts was going for the Ace high straight, and his hole ace (or ACE-HOLE as I called him) and his high card ace was enough to take down the pot, dropping me 6 bucks on the first hand I played. Oh well, pipe dream cheer_dad, you didn't have a prayer. Then, we change focus to the other table... I'm seeing patterns in betting emerge, stupidity and thinly veiled steals of pots actually working for a couple of guys at the table. They were running the joint. A couple of Pushy-McPushPants types. cheer_dad decides to test the waters, and repush with nothing. It works once...then I try again, and get snagged this time, but not for too much, but I end up having to show some trash that I was trying it with, and took a few heckling remarks. Now, the time is right. I wait a few hands and try pushing again, this time cards with teeth. I get reraised, I push all-in over that, and well whatdya know this time, I wasn't foolin' guys. I felt one guy, who instantly rebuys...and he begins this I got balls routine of shoving all in on nearly every hand, particularly when I'm in the blinds and he's to my right! I slink back into the felt for what seemed like an eternity. The table actually starts to break up, as others are getting frustrated. I finally pick a hand (junk) and raise, and he reraises me...I fold, and whine a little. A few hands later, he pops it again on my big blind. I pause ad nauseum...and then just re-pop him. He shoves right back, all-in. I insta call with my pocket Queens, which hold against his A3os. The software censored him... He rebought and then others began to enjoy the circle jerk that ensued. I waited and caught just a couple more pots, and then cashed out up $18.40 for my short time at the table. I know, that sounds small, but again...this is .10/.20 people. Cut me some friggin' slack. Anyway, that puts me up just under 3 days!!!
3 days? Huh cheer_dad... well I continued to crunch those numbers folks...and even worked up a spreadsheet to support the insanity, but if I can pop my meager little bankroll the $6 1/2-ish per day for the next 154 days, I could theoretically hit the $grand$ by the time the Main Event starts! Hmmm, maybe I should mention this to Big Red...nah, it'll wait! : )
To further fuel this "episode" I logged on to USAirways today, and well whatdya know flights that would put me in Vegas for the opening ceremony of the WSOP Main Event are (gasp) a mere $232!!! I know...some of you can hear the gears in my twisted little mind turning right now. I know one good run was a fluke, and it'll come crashin' down, but now it's a challenge. It's like Lady Luck just byatch slapped me and threw down the gauntlet. It's on... and cheer_dad's doin' this thang!
And if I fail miserably in the attempt, well you can all just say you were there to see the meltdown, and that it all makes sense why "...he careened his Dodge pickup off the cliff..." when someone shoves a mike in your face. You were there at the beginning of the end.
How's that for a caffeine buzzed post!?!
Regards,
cheer_dad

No comments: