Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Anti-resolution list

So many of the blogs to which I subscribe and regularly peruse are covering the resolutions for a new year of their author's, or looking back on the year that was 2007, at least from their personal perspectives. So for a couple of days now, I've toyed with the idea of doing one or the other myself. But the more I pondered...the less interested I became. I mean who out there among you really cares about my impression of 2007, and following that logic would you really care what I have to say about the year 2008. What are my hopes and dreams, resolutions if you will? Do you really want to know? Well let's cover my resolutions in a different manner. Here's some of the things I DON'T want to repeat this year.

"I DON'T WANT TO..." List:

...raise my voice in anger.
...lose my temper.
...leave behind a legacy of my life that I would not be proud of.
...rest on whatever perceived laurels that I have.
...just settle for anything.
...live without JOY in my life.
...remain as heavy (translation FAT) as I am today.
...have a negative effect on anyone I come in contact with.
...make excuses.
...be a victim.
...waste.
...find fault in others to explain my own shortcomings.
...offend.
...regret.

This list could be related to life in general, or poker specifically if you feel I need to keep this blog poker-centric. BUT from a "poker" perspective... I would include the following to the "I Don't Want To..." list:

...repeat my mistakes.
...whine.
...continue being a "break-even" player.
...let losses affect me so much.
...play above my means.
...play scared.
...remain so one-dimensional at the table.
...play, if I'm not having fun.

What do those things say about me? It's rhetorical...even to me. No answer here! Sorry to let you down.

Big Red and I watched The Bucket List last night. It was one of the best movies I have seen in a very long time. Granted, it's difficult to have a bad movie when you've got both Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman in the cast. How bad of a hack writer would you have to be to make something come out badly with the two of them on the payroll? Anyway...the movie was well worth watching and I highly recommend it to any of you. I think it was billed somewhat by the previews as a comedy. Yes, it was funny in places. But the theme was the thing. The reflection and looking back on a life lived that made it for me. It was profound, intellectual, happy, sad, and funny all at the same time. They covered the bases on this one.

Our favorite quote from Jack in the movie was: "Never pass up a bathroom, never waste a hard-on, and never trust a fart!" If those aren't words to live by, then I guess I just don't get it all, do I...?

I hope this new year finds you well, safe, and happy.
May you find JOY, and in so doing, may others find JOY in having known you.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: