Monday, July 23, 2007

Monday ramblings

When I was younger, I used to make little notes to myself all the time to which I rarely returned. Sometimes they were reminders, other times they were thoughts in progress that I'd intended to return to, to finish off. I'd make them on scratch pieces of paper, margins of books, etc... Now that trend has gone digital, and I've embraced the computer age fully. But I generally jot done notes to myself in little "notepad" windows on each of my many computers, between work and home. I copy and paste like a junkie. I'm a horrific plagarizing junkie...not because I don't want to give credit where credit is due...it's just I forget where I got some of these little tidbits of wisdom sometimes. If I were better organized maybe it wouldn't happen. I do remember reading some guides on organizational skills years ago, and I guess I did employ some of those elements into my day-to-day life, but not to the degree that it could really make an impact. Maybe that's what I should really revisit, huh?!

Anyway, here's one of the recent snippets of information I left lingering on my desktop here at home, again, I read it on someone's blog, but I just don't remember which one. My apologies to the author...

"...A big payday buys you "tilt control". You no longer feel enraged by bad beats or obsess about losses. You have proved that all you need to do is play correctly and the rewards will come. The result is that you play a lot calmer and treat your inevitable reverses, no matter how cruel, with equanimity. Of course the flip side of this is that, those who have won some money are distraught that they haven’t won more."

I think that's where I've been lately...wondering why I've been treading water in the poker world. Not able to make the "break-away" money. I mean I should really accept it, since I'm not playing at the big $ tables. I'm still subscribing to the "you can't lose what you don't put in the middle..." strategy. It's true, but it unfortunately borders on the "scared money can't win," thought process. And that just kind of sucks.

I'm playing a few tables right now, both on UB and Carbon. There's a guy on the Carbon table "TheBlindDog" who has given me a ''second-best complex." I always seem to bob around out here, moving up only slightly, and then going mondo card dead. By then everyone is convinced I'm so tight that I screw my socks on that when I hit a little something, I can't make enough to even cover my losses and the friggin' rake.

Some days, I border on throwing in the towel, cashing out, and never playing again. It sucks to hate a thing so much that you love. Such is the poker mistress.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: