Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Yeah, maybe I should have mowed yesterday, huh... This rain doesn't look too promising. The 10-day forecast doesn't bode well for my procrastinated lawn work. Sorry Big Red...will I never learn! I did get the mother-in-law's furniture moved yesterday, though. That buys me some points right? Actually went much more smoothly than I'd expected. Isn't that the way things typically go? It...whatever "it" is...is never quite so bad as what you think it will be. Maybe that's just because I have the worst-case-scenario, harbinger of doom ideal ingrained in my DNA. (Gee thanks mom!) No, I didn't get it from dad's side. He's as cool as a cucumber. He's got the "ehhh, I work it out," mentality. The "I've survived everything else, life's thrown at me so far, I suppose I can probably manage this. I'm a little convinced that a war era had a little to do with it. I did not grow up/live in a time of war. I did not experience death. There was a movie a while back (I forget which one...) but the father was telling the son that the son wasn't truly enjoying/experiencing/living life because he'd never witnessed death. The sight of "your buddies getting killed by your side" tending to make other stressors in life seem a little less important and urgent. Actually cleared away some of the muck and allowed him to "stop and smell the roses." Enjoy the present and don't dwell on the what if, or what might happen tomorrow. That scene, (though I've quoted it horribly) really struck a chord with me.

I've always looked up to my dad. I admire him. I used to think he was hard on me, (I worked for him while I was in high school and college, and was typical for the boss's kid...he rode me a little more. BUT, I realize now that those things that he instilled within me may well be the most important lessons I was ever taught. He taught me to work...he taught me responsibility. He taught me to be a man. However, as I near the 40 year old threshold, I scratch my head. I still feel like I'm still in the process of growing up! How can that be? The lessons I got out of my dad, came to me when dear ole dad was that age I am now. I still don't feel like I'm anywhere near there. Maybe this means that I'm worthless. Or maybe ALL dad's are just in the same situation. We're an inch away from idiocy...ill- equipped to do the job for our kids, but we still keep trying. One day maybe I'll just ask him about it all. Maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll learn that he was just as clueless and scared as I am now...

Maybe I haven't said it in a while dad...but THANKS, just for being you, and doing the best you could. Thanks for setting the example and setting the bar high!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: