Friday, May 30, 2008

Harvey Korman, you will be missed







My day just got a little sad as I read the news that funny man Harvey Korman died last night at the age of 81. http://www.cnn.com/2008/SHOWBIZ/TV/05/29/korman.obit.ap/index.html?iref=mpstoryview Harvey Korman... well he made me laugh. I can still remember watching the Carol Burnett Show as a child and as I sit here writing this I can recall many of the skits that had me rolling with laughter. Harvey was the "straight-man" in much of his comedic career, but his delivery and expressions were just fuel to a fire for others to feed off of in each routine. The two recurring skits which I recall most vividly are as many others mention as well the "Gone With the Wind" AND "As the Stomach Turns" sketches. I think what made him funniest was that he laughed at himself, as did the entire Carol Burnett ensemble cast. They routinely played off of one another at times seemingly trying to get the other actor to "lose it" and crack up while on camera. It made the scenes just that much funnier, watching Harvey bite his lip in an effort to contain his laughter.


As the article states, Korman began his career on the The Danny Kaye Show in 1964, and then joined Carol Burnett in 1967, and remained there for the next 10 years. He appeared in a number of movies, including Blazing Saddles. Additionally, he and fellow comedian Tim Conway continued their dynamic duo touring the country with their live show, "Tim Conway and Harvey Korman: Together Again." As I recall it wasn't all that long ago that the two were appearing in Las Vegas.
I think Mel Brooks summed it up best, "A world without Harvey Korman -- it's a more serious world..."

I for one will miss him, but he will always be remembered fondly. Thanks for all the laughs, rest in peace Harvey.


Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: