Saturday, May 10, 2008

Observations from the Yanok's and then some...

Good time was had by all at the Yanok's house last night. Thanks for your wonderful hospitality. There was a big crowd there for the tournament, and despite a late 9:00pm start time, we still ended up playing a second game, on into the wee hours. Unfortunately, Lady Luck continues to snub me at the tables. Being card dead for a very long time, I joked that the first hand I had that had a face card in it, I was playing it regardless of position or the bet. Time marched on... and I kept on mucking. Hand after hand of 5-2, 4-2, 3-5. I remarked that I was going to have to change my thinking and lower my standards. If a had a 7 or higher, I'd play. That didn't really work either. In the first game, Matt took me out when I (getting low on chips and the blinds getting nosebleedish) looked down at pocket 6's. Matt raised ahead of me to 50. I raised all in for like another 70 or so. He showed AQos. I'm thinking, "dodge 'em!" Unfortunately, we did dodge em' but the Ace high straight filled itself in on the river for him. Yup, Matt you called it. When I finally get a hand, someone else is gonna find a better one. Oh well. In the second game, beer, the lateness of the hour and my utter disdain for this friggin' game of poker, I shoved with pocket Jacks, despite She-Wolfe's advances on the pot. As I turned my cards I asked, do you have 'em. The answer was all too apparent. There be bullets here! Oh well the beer was cold, and the Wild Turkey was gobblin' in Matt's glass, just begging me to sip a bit and then a bit more. : )

It was good to get out for the night with good friends and good times! It should also be noted that Scott Miller, came out of retirement last night and returned to the poker fold. It was good to see him out and about... and draggin' the occasional pot as well.

Other points of interest and just things that caught my oddball attention:
  1. Brian Y puts together a great poker music mix!
  2. People who typically suck out on you, get sucked out on too, and complain more loudly! : )
  3. Sometimes you really should chase after that straight, and follow a flush draw off the edge of the abyss.
  4. Matt taught me that mixers are optional for Wild Turkey.
  5. Rhinestones are a nice touch to a thong.
  6. Also, when Brian begins to lose his voice, he sounds disturbingly like Napoleon Dynamite! (Do the chickens have sharp talons?)
  7. If you slur your speech when you're drinking, it's okay, I slur my hearing when I'm drinking.
  8. Big Red had never seen a black hockey player! (Come to think of it, neither had I.)
  9. If you can't laugh at yourself, others will do it for you.
  10. And last but not least... you really can bounce a quarter off of Jody's ass. Buns Of Steel Baby!

I'll see many of you tonight at the Eagles (for still more poker goodness,) after we get Whitney off to prom. And I'll try to post up some pix of her sometime later on the blog. Proposals and gawking by you pervs will not be tolerated and will be dealt with swiftly. Suffice it to say that despite my obvious bias... my daughter looks absolutely beautiful!


Hope to see you soon... and hope you choose me to give your money to, as Lady Luck for once actually gives me the reach around!


Regards,


cheer_dad

No comments: