Saturday, May 03, 2008

Sometimes they have your number

We just got back from the Wolfe's. Another of those PartyLite (candle) parties for the ladies while the guys headed downstairs to play some cards. It would have been cheaper for me to have stayed upstairs and just ordered stuff from the catalog. I bought in for $20 initially... and played it for a while, up and down staying even, doing nothing stupid. Played straight, but we were pretty short handed so the starting hand requirements were way low. I was able to get away from some hands that would have broke me, and I was getting good reads. Then I'm the BB and get raised. I look down at pocket 9's. I reshove, making the guy for a big ace or possibly a low pair. Unfortunately he insta calls and turns over his pocket Jacks. Ooops, checks... table 1. I rebuy for another $20 with the intent of taking it back, I was still pretty confident in my reads, despite that fiasco.

I started stealing more often and the table was loosening up. Anyway, here's the hand that ended my night. I'm the big blind (.50) and I look down at pocket Kings. The same guy as before raises it up to $3.00 preflop. I pretend to tank for a bit, and shove $6.00 over the top. He shoves all in. I insta call regardless, since I know he's got me covered. As I shove, I look up and ask him, "do you have 'em." He flips them over and shows me. As I turn over my Kings, he said, "man I figured that's what you had to have. Unfortunately, I didn't hit my two outer on him and it went down the way it should, with him winning. I shook his hand, and told him that I knew when enough was enough. Especially since that was the limit I'd set for myself. It stings a little...BUT, when they've got your number there's not a damn thing you can do about it. The funny thing in that hand was the fact that three others that folded chuckled when we showed our pairs, and they each reached for the much and turned over their folded pairs as well, EACH!!! 5 pairs of cards. You know my old adage that if you have a pair you have to ask yourself who the other guy at the table is that has one. In this case, there were A LOT of them! Oh well nothing to do but bitch about it here in the ole blog. thanks for feeling my pain. FRACK!

Have a good night all!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: