Wednesday, February 04, 2009

What a way to start the day...

This morning a minor dusting of snow was waiting for me on my truck, but nothing too bad. I just started it up, while the dog wandered around the yard sniffing, and then I went back inside to check the email real quick. After a few minutes the truck was all clear, and so I hopped in and started off. It was then that I realized how close to the "E" the ole gas gauge was! No problem, plenty of time to whip it into the gas station for a fill up. It wasn't until I had the truck refueled and replaced the nozzle that I realized I had a problem. I reached to my right rear pants pocket to get my wallet out. Huh, that's odd. Probably in my truck seat or some such silliness. No, no such luck there buddy. Then, it really hits me, 'I gots no moneys and the lady behind the register's gonna want paid!' Ah hell... no time like the present march on in and tell 'em what's up.

So, I muster up the sad puppy dog eyes as I head through the door. The bleary eyed clerk who's been there all night, glances up from her register and a fresh stack of powerball winning numbers. Okay, here we go. "Uh, hi ma'am (emphasizing the southern drawl a bit, and flashing the baby-blues) I seem to have a problem, I don't have my wallet." Sheesh, the sound of my own voice, do I really sound like that big of an idiot? Prolly. I have an instant thought, that I should offer up some sort of collateral that I'll come back to pay. I grab for my cell phone and hold it out to her, and explain that I just live about 5 minutes away and I'll be right back. Without hesitation, the clerk takes my phone and just smiles an impossibly kind smile for this hour of the morning, and says simply, "it could happen to anyone dear, it's okay." Wow, that was easy, almost pleasant. So, obviously I head home as quickly as possible, feeling like a complete idiot, and when I get there, yeah of course there's my wallet right on the dresser where I left it. And of course, I startle Big Red who is still getting ready for work, and have to relay the morning's story. She laughed... I rolled my eyes, and headed back out. I get back to the gas station, same clerk, same smile, and she takes my card and says, "so just the gas... and a phone right?" She winks, I blush, she finishes up and hands me my receipt and phone. "You have a good day hon," she says... and as bad as it started and as horrid as the typical bullshit at work was, you know... I remember a smile and kindness and understanding from earlier in the day, and it made it all just a little bit more bearable.

There are still a few decent people still in the world... and I met one of them this morning. There may be hope for the human race after all.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: