Monday, January 29, 2007

Lost Weekend

Lost weekends usually imply a good thing. A getaway, a departure from the norm, or a step outside reality. But that's not the case here. Maybe the title should be "Wasted Weekend." Maybe Donation Time. I can't call it a Bad Beat-a-thon, since there were no true bad beats. There was just nothing good about it. Lotsa bad cards...and when good cards came, they didn't connect with the board in any way. The first chapter in this Lost Weekend was Saturday night...so I guess I got a reprieve. I was able to cut my losses in the evening's cash game, only losing a total of $21, counting the $1 round of ghetto hold 'em. I bought in twice for $10, and just kept donating. I could feel myself leaning toward Tilt, so I opted to pass on a third rebuy, despite the fact that Big Red tried to get me to come back into the game. It just wasn't in my best interest. I hope that folks didn't think I was just being anti-social, there really were other forces at work, and trust me you didn't really want me back in the game. Well, maybe as a means of profit you did. :) But at any rate, I had the good sense to get out.



Next day...there was free time to be had! What better way to spend a day than playing some online poker. That was a thought I should have re-thought. It began with Full Tilt Poker. I had $101.xx when I started. I had $1.xx when the dust settled. I watched as pocket Queens, betrayed me on the final hand, and the last of the money I had at the table go away. I remember looking at my stats at the 159 hand point, and finding that I'd only won 8 hands total, on the two tables I was playing. AND of those wins I recalled that 2 of them I was the big blind and everyone at the table folded to me, and a couple of others I raised preflop with a pocket pair and everyone folded to me. That is a recipe for loss at the tables. I cooked, and stewed in my own juices. So, I quit. For a few hours anyway. Luck had to change didn't it? Actually Lady Luck just didn't see it that way. She's fickle. And she proved to me that William H. Macy didn't have nothing on me. So, I head over to UB for a change of pace, and since all my money is gone on FTP. (grrrr) Horrible, horrible cards again...and I resist playing them, I admit that I let a few connectors enter the list of playable hands, but not very often did I even see them! When I finally had the good sense to leave the table I was down another $70+. This was not a day to remember. So the total loss was in the neighbor hood of $170-$180-ish. The only cardinal rule that I know that I broke, which caused me to go broke, was playing for the bonus on Full Tilt, instead of just playing the game and letting the bonus take care of itself. It has bitten me before. Playing for a $20 chunk of the bonus, and losing $100 just dosen't add up. In the end I didn't even get the bonus..and now I never will. But UB hasn't treated me this poorly in a very long time. The worst of it...and most depressing of all is that fact that I plummeted below the $800 mark on the site. That was very demoralizing. And there was nothing I could do about it, except opt not to play. But how can you always stay away. There's no way to know what will be a winning or a losing session. That is the nature of the poker beast. So, I guess I start rebuilding again, now... There's always hope, but to make sure that the losing streak has run its course, I think I'll take a few days off. Any wound needs at least that much time to heal. So I'll give it a rest. Really, I will...I don't wanna feel like this a night long again. I didn't sleep well, and I know the whole thing made me grumpy. Sorry Big Red, for putting up with my stupidity. It just stinks when you set aside time...when you can actually play, and then the world conspires against you. But, I'm not done yet...there's still cards and cash. I'll be back. You have been warned.


Regards,


cheer_dad

No comments: