Saturday, January 13, 2007

What, am I riding the Beast here or what?

Online poker has been a roller-coaster ride for the past few days. I reread my last post from the 10th, and I was remarking then about how, good hands were meeting bad flop-turn-river, and I was feeling the pressure of the suckouts, but still keeping my head above water. Then I went on a major losing streak. Aces getting cracked, good pairs, Ace-high flush, being greeted by a friggin' straight flush. It was really taking a toll on my bankroll. I think I even dipped below my initial investment on UB of $650, at one point, which was bad...VERY BAD! But finished above that, for the night, and counted myself lucky. Whew!!! Somehow, I've now climbed back out of the mire, though...and went on a roll on one table to offset the dismal cards on the other table. The bad table, I looked at my stats at the 50 hand mark, and most notably I had won only ONE HAND!!! I scrolled back through the hand history, and found that on the one had that I took the pot, I was the BIG BLIND and EVERYONE had folded to me!!! You cannot survive at poker that way. No way...no how. Was I being too tight, too loose, wtf!!! But the other table I went on a roll of pocket pairs. I hit pocket Aces I don't even remember how many times, and I swear one streak included pocket aces, followed by pocket ladies, and then pocket ladies AGAIN! And I won every single one of them. My low pocket pairs were making sets. Especially a pair of 5's and a pair of 2's were REALLY sweet pots. So, I'm on a roll there, and livin' good, but just barely to the positive side, due to the other lousy table. Then I finally start getting some pocket pairs. Win a few, lose a few, still just treading water. Then I finally hit a monster hand, pocket Aces at the table. I am raised preflop, I reraise, and we cap it. This is going very well. Long story short, we end up with about a $30 pot in $1/$2 limit heads up, and my Aces hold fast. The other guy on shows his pocket Kings. He too was having a rough time at the table, and saw the Kings as being the best hand of the night. Tough luck, and feel his pain, but better him than me! So that pulls that table out of the cellar. (Big Sigh) I cash out for the night, back on track for now. I'm just under $800 again. BUT, looking back at it this is just BREAK EVEN POKER! That's frustrating. I mean I'm up, but I'm not capitalizing on the bonus $'s. All I'm really doing is collecting them 1 to 1. I would like to be collecting them straight up, and have winnings as gravy, or even the other way around. Sometimes it feels like cheating at poker, when you think in terms of keeping score with money. I'm up by nearly $150 but only by virtue of the fact that I'm collecting bonus dollars. That's not winning, that's break even, that's barely survival. Maybe though I've been at the tail end of an elongated run of bad cards, and I'm now ready to break on through to the other side! (power of positive thinking.) Maybe I'll get to see that in action tonight at Shuman's cash game. I've had a run a bad luck over there, being brutalized by a lot of suckouts. I know this is an incredibly loose game, so I'm playing it ultra tight, and just getting river hammered a lot. Maybe tonight is my night. WHOOOOYAAAA!

I just called the Riordan's so we should be seeing them tonight as well. Should be a good game, and a good time. I'll post how it all turns out.

And for those of you who know...don't forget the other LARGE non-NDPT tournament coming up soon, that I'm not allowed to talk about, being held at an undisclosed location, and being organized by someone I cannot identify. Was that vague enough for you, dear!!! :) If anyone is confused by that, then you probably weren't invited, but might be welcome, so email or call me, and I can clue you in! It's all about the plausible deniability!

See you all real soon.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: