Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Back to the grind

Back to the daily grind. Yes, I've returned to work. I managed to get to the bottom of my email Inbox, after sorting sifting and reading 1,001 email messages and meeting invitations. I'm scheduled for 3 meetings already today. Gee thanks guys! I was greeted this morning by cold weather, brisk winds, and about an inch of snow was beginning to fall. Roads were no issue, but I was the first set of tire tracks to touch the road in my development and on over to Martown Road.

It feels a little strange being back to work, or at least feels different not being in Shepherdstown. I miss the comraderie... I miss the interaction... I miss a number of the people with whom I shared a 2 week chunk of life. Those strangers who became valued friends aren't there to chat with over lunch, or run on the treadmill next to, in the fitness room, or to belt out a fractured karaoke song in the hotel bar. I have already placed our class picture here at my desk, so I can at the very least see the smiling faces. I hope all is well with each of them. Would that life causes our paths to cross again.

JR has sent out the next poker tournament seating assignments. I've played twice already since getting back home. Once at the Yanok's where I just broke even and also got qualified for the year end game. Then the following night (Saturday) at JR's house, I officially finished 2nd, to Vince, although we chopped the remaining prize pool. It was a good choice since it could have gone on and on for quite a while. Our styles are very similar. Neither of us is gonna get flustered and do something rash. We would have continued to grind for quite a while unless something crazy happened. Let's see if this weekend I can continue the winning way. I'll confess I've been reading "Zen and the Art of Poker," and I actually think it has helped my game. Not for any element of strategy, but in the calm peaceful approach to the game. Remaining at ease while those around you are on edge and playing with emotion, using the concepts from this book, you will have a decided advantage.

I made it out to Borders yesterday with my 40% coupon. I picked up a couple of titles that I'll share later. I want to start "reviewing" things that I think are worthwhile reading or watching in the case of movies/tv... I'm working on doing just that for the Zen Poker book. I encourage you to pick up a copy of that one right now, but if you must, wait for the review. I'll get something crafted and posted soon.

Everyone try to stay warm out there. I'll continue to struggle with staying awake.

Regards,

cheer_dad

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very cool site! Thanks--
Larry W. Phillips
(The "Zen & Poker" guy)

cheer_dad said...

Thanks once again for stopping by! Looks like I'll have to get my review of the book finished very soon... : )

Regards,

cheer_dad