Saturday, February 09, 2008

Impromptu return home

I'm back in Parkersburg, only briefly at the request of my lovely wife. Aww... she really did miss me. So, with a last minute shuffling of papers and a hasty cramming of the suitcase, I hitched a ride back with fellow BPD'er Jason. He as well was in Shepherdstown, WV for the Leadership Training that I've gone on and on about for the last few posts. He's a great guy and we've (at least I think so) really hit it off. Who knows, I may even turn him into another poker convert. Anyway it was nice travelling back with someone and to have someone to talk about things in general as well as help to digest and put into perspective a lot of the things that are being covered in the classes. We've both come to the same conclusion about one thing though... they're gonna friggin' load us up with work in this 2nd week. The handouts and projects came fast and furious on the last day getting us geared up for a 20 minute-ish class presentation from each of the 5 teams. Then, we were given 3 personal assignments, one 6 month goal for our organizations, which will be monitored and checked upon by our peers, within the class. The other are 2 personal development goals, again to be overseen by our peers. Finally we've been presented with a scenario which has redivided us into teams, which will represent factions in a world issue. The scenario briefly is focused on Shell Oil company expansion operations in Nigeria, add to the mix Human Rights, government, military, corruption, and environmental rights groups. Well you've got a mess that we're gonna play out. I was assigned to represent Greenpeace. UGH, they really are gonna make me a tree-hugger aren't they.

I've kept up with a few of you over the past week, and trust me your emails and text messages have been welcomed by this weary traveler. Life out of a suitcase isn't the best of times all by yourself. So thanks for keeping the ole spirits up. I do appreciate it! I've met a lot of great people in Shepherdstown. People with very different lives and work than my own. They are all much more "metropolitan" than I am, and while some elements of their lives sound very cool, I've come to the conclusion that I like my little life without all the hustle bustle and expense of the greater DC, New York, or Chicago life. They can keep it. It's just not for me I suppose. I'll hang on to my Vegas pilgrimmages to keep on the edge...

Time to wrap up and get back to the family.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: