Thursday, March 20, 2008

1st Day of Spring


The picture to the left greeted me this morning just after 6:00am, and was Google's representative announcement that Spring is here. Of course, I was on my computer from home, so early waiting for the FROST to melt off my truck's windshield! So I guess they really need a disclaimer saying your mileage may vary (YMMV.) Thankfully the rains stopped last night. Not only did the creek rise enough for there to be debris on the small bridge which serves we dwellers of Wildood, but my backyard looked a bit like a river at some points yesterday evening. Cole once again, started with his 20 questions of "where are we supposed to go if it floods?" I half wanted to answer, "wherever the current drags our drowned bodies," but childhood's tough enough, so I just told him that "the rain would stop soon (and don't start that again son.)" An hour later he looked outside, and the rain had stopped. How's that for power over the elements, boy!?


I stumbled across the following article:


http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7306293.stm which remarks on the passing yesterday of Science Fiction author Sir Arthur C. Clarke. He was best known for his work "The Sentinel" which was adapted into 2001: A Space Odyssey.

His gift to humanity has been the inspiration of imagination in us all. May he rest in peace.
I know some of you came here in search of "poker content." But as many a great player will tell you, there's more to life, and we would each be well served to remember that. I mean I'd say, "hey it's just a game," but then you'd know that I was just being ridiculous!
Regards,
cheer_dad

1 comment:

Short-Stacked Shamus said...

If I had more energy today, I'd write something about Clarke's prescient insights into artificial intelligence & man-machine relationships and try to relate it all somehow to online poker. Thx for noting a great thinker's passing.