Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Traffic to this site, via PokerSpace


"Interesting." Let me first say this is NOT a paid advertisement or endorsement. Just interesting and curious. A few of my friends and I have recently been making the rounds of a relatively new site http://www.pokerspace.com/. In addition to the obvious freerolls that they offer (so far on UltimateBet and Walker Poker) they also have some interesting promotions, forums, and a poker school. The school has interested me most. Although I read several books when I first got fired up about poker along with the rest of the world. I must admit that many of the concepts that I read about were perhaps a bit advanced for my skill level (nil) at the time. Now that I've been playing online, live, and hosting A LOT of home tournaments and ring games... well let's say I've improved over time. The PokerSpace site, while I was giving it a test run, actually recalled some concepts that I knew I'd read a few years back, and hadn't thought much about since. You know, you get that mentality that you've been there, done that mentality, and tend to dismiss knowledge/wisdom when it's staring you in the face. While reading through the lessons on the site and then taking the subsequent quizzes, I came across some things that I really didn't have as good a grasp as I might have thought. Of particular interest was the concept of calculation of outs and how they relate to pot odds. Sometimes the call is the right move despite how queasy it might make you in the depths of your gut. I was breezing through a number of the "Basic" quizzes when I ran into one and actually failed it! Yikes! And the added insult to injury, I couldn't just retake it on the spot. PokerSpace built in a 4-hour wait time. You click happy types need not apply! So, I kept studying and went back and even looked at quizzes that I passed, and looked to see where I wasn't scoring 100%'s. There have been some interesting revelations. I'm not as friggin' smart as I thought I was. Particularly humbling was the Sponsorship Test. It took me a few tries (and a number of 4 hour waits built in) to pass this sucker. AND when I did, there was still room for improvement. I did end up getting a sponsorship to Walker Poker, which I'm happy to report I've earned a few extra dollars and cents poking around the tables, in the shallow end of the buy-in pool! Grow the little bankroll right, and make something of it!

Okay I've given my background with the site now. Let me give some additional background. I Google'd PokerSpace and found the following synopsis of their site:


Pokerspace.com aims to become the largest online poker community for players across the world by providing a broad functional social networking platform dedicated exclusively to poker players. Pokerspace is well on its way to become the leader in online poker communities. Pokerspace is backed with exciting live marketing campaigns and a growing online presence. Pokerspace provides its members with a solid poker education system accompanied by a points system that will keep our online members active and playing consistent poker on our preferred brands. Pokerspace moved into BETA stage as planned on December 1st, 2007 and it has been attracting users at a increasingly fast pace. We expect to hit 100,000 users by the end of 2008 and this estimate is very moderate given the current rate of user acquisition.

I think the fledgling poker community is on to something and may make a run of it. I for one have enjoyed my time on their site.

Now back to what "really" started all this discussion and made me start the post with the word, "Interesting." I fired up Google Analytics this morning, as I commonly do, to see if anyone has even visited to the ole NDPT blog. Now, I'm no where near the top of the blogger world and don't expect to achieve that status, any time soon, or EVER for that matter, but I did see a slight spike over the last few days. So I decided to dig a little deeper and see why. The keywords that started driving "John Q. WebSurfer" my way were predominantly (at least recently) to do with PokerSpace.com! And what gave me a real chuckle is... I'm huge in Eastern Europe! Heck I got more visits from Poland than I did from Canada!?! And I don't even know if I can find "Latvia" on the map. Sorry! BUT whatever the reason, and however you got here, I'm glad that you stopped by. Hope you found something that caught your eye, and that at some point you return to see what "cheer_dad's" up to. But if not, I'll understand. It's like I've always said this blog's for me. It's good therapy. And honestly I enjoy doing it. If someone else finds a nugget or two of wisdom or a laugh from time to time, well that's okay by me too! Carry on, feel free to visit. Consider this to be the welcome mat.

In closing... I will say that I'm NOT going to post my answers out here to the http://www.pokerspace.com/ quizzes and tests. Face it people, I advocate reading and think we should each of us engage ourselves in the noble pursuit of learning. Well, it couldn't hurt anyway... If you do wander over there to check 'em out yourself, I'm part of the NDPT Crew (go figure) feel free to say hello. And no, I'm not looking for a referral credit.

"I'll see ya, when I see ya..."

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: