Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Battle against UIGEA wages on and on...

I posted a comment over on Lou Krieger's blog following his article/post linked here, regarding a decision being rendered in relation to the UIGEA (Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act.) I read through the post and as always I remain skeptical, so I went out to the iMEGA.org website to read just what was being lauded as a "victory" on the side of internet gaming (more importantly and specifically as it relates to poker.) That statement on their site included a link to the actual "Memorandum Opinion" that was rendered, found here. Unfortunately for Mr. Krieger and other journalistic venues including http://www.gambling911.com/online-gambling-031008.html have one fact reported incorrectly. The statement that a judgement came from "a U.S. Supreme Court Judge" is not accurate. The Memorandum Opinion was issued by Judge Mary L. Cooper, of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey. This merely granted iMEGA the standing to pursue a challenge of the Unlawful Internet Gambling Enforcement Act (UIGEA). As well within the 29 page opinion, I'm not finding the language which agrees entirely that potential criminal liability by financial institutions with regard to the UIGEA has been absolved by the judge's opinion. Trust me... I wanted to find it, but I don't see it there. Then again, I've missed things before and I'm not an attorney so I'll be the first to admit my inadequacy. If some additional documentation exists to add credence to the assertion that this element of the UIGEA has been thrown out, please someone let me know! I'd love to see it, and I'd start showing it to my own bank/credit union and pump more money into the poker economy forthwith.

Do NOT construe my comments as criticism of Lou Krieger who I greatly admire and respect. I believe he has reported consistently and kept the poker blogging community very well informed on the subject of the fight against the UIGEA. I for one am grateful.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: