Sunday, March 02, 2008

The Yanok game recap, plus...

I wanted to at least get in a weekend post to sort of recap. It's not all that exciting but it's my life. Friday night Teresa and I had two options for poker, but we had earlier committed to the Yanok game which we always enjoy, so we had to pass on Shuman's. We got started around 7:30, playing short handed at two tables. I think we had 11 players total. I was at the 5 seater. Dismal cards...just horrid! I recognized a number of times that bluffs were flying, but more often than not I was looking down at hands that would be better played at the blackjack table. 7-4, 8-3, 9-2. Couple that with the fact that you're only sitting with 200 in chips from the get go. Blinds are 1/2, 2/4, 5/10, 10/20, 25/50, 50/100, yeah you see the exponentially expanding pokerverse. I realized by the time the second blind stage finally came around that we were playing fast, really fast and that waiting around wasn't going to work, so I began to take a few shots. Only once or twice did a stone cold bluff actually work for me though, and that only at the 5/10 level. Unfortunately for me every time I had the position on the table to bluff, I got called by my lovely wife!!! Every time and I do mean every time, she called or raised my ass. She told me later, that she wasn't getting a read, but just always had the goods to go along with my poor timing. I was sandwiched between JR to my right, Robert to my left, Chris S after Robert, and then Teresa. There were three people at the table who were actively playing position and catching some decent cards. Teresa I don't think played her position as well, but was cleaning up on some great cards. Although I did question her call with the J-8s, when I tried once again to steal the blinds. I busted out shortly after we went to one table. Opting to get involved in a hand when I had nothing but there were a lot of chips in a big pot that might have got me back on track if I could simply suck out. I wasn't going to make it through the blinds with the stack I had, so I think it was the move to make. In the end Teresa came up with the winning hand in that pot, with her pocket Jacks. She sent two of us to the rail on that hand. This gave her a sizable stack at this point. I went outside to grab some air and a beer, and shortly after they went on break. Teresa came out where I was just to chat. I offered her only ONE piece of advice. I told her that she needed to stop flat-calling. The stakes were high at this point, and she didn't need to be in there risking for no good reason. That was the only real flaw I'd seen in her game for the night. She was calling, when faced with a raise, when I clearly knew on a few occasions that she had monster cards. She needed to be reraising and eliminating others right then and there. I didn't know if she'd listen or not, but I hoped. I didn't find out til later that night. Nikki, JR, and I opted to leave right then and head up to the Eagles since Mirror Mirror was playing, and they always put on a great show! When Teresa got there she told me she came in 2nd, but had lost to Erik, when he called her all-in with A-Q, with his Q-J, but he nailed a straight on the river. No complaint or argument there. In with the best of it, but came up empty. Julie told me that she did tighten up after I left... and didn't do much calling. It was either fold or raise with her from then on. In Julie's words, "her ass was squeakin'!" Congratulations Erik on the win, but I'm much more proud of Big Red! : )

The "party" continued at the Eagles until the wee-hours. I say that cause I don't have a clue what time we left. I stopped drinkin' beer along the way, and re-waged my war on Jack Daniels. The fog of war quickly ensued. I enjoyed the band, good friends, and lots and lots of bared cleavage on the dance floor. Man, Mirror Mirror's got some groupies now. And I've said it before I'll say it again... YEY BOOBIES!!! : )

Saturday was a day of laundry and relaxation. We finally got to watch this weeks episode of LOST. I thought it was great, I like the whole time-line shift angle. Teresa wasn't so sure, at first, but I think she came around near the end of the episode. She's also convinced that Desmond looks much better with short hair. Yet another "man" for her to add to her collection of eye candy.

Not sure what's in store for today, but I'll meet it head on as usual, this has been a good week. I do think there's a Pokerspace.com freeroll today over at Walker Poker that I'll get in. $500 freeroll, with just over 200 players. We'll see. I did finally sign up at Walker, after passing the sponsorship quiz, although I only passed it at the $25 level, not the $50. This site has taught me one thing... I don't know as much about odds and percentages as I thought I did. There's always room to learn.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: