Sunday, June 08, 2008

Weekend WSOP update, and Shuman recap

Somewhere along the line I neglected to report anything about Event 9 $1,500 No-Limit Hold'em / Six-Handed. Sorry kids, it wasn't intentional. The field of 1,236 was finally narrowed down to its last man standing and Rep Porter walked away with the WSOP bracelet and $372,929. Congratulations!

Event 10 - $2,500 Omaha/Seven Card Stud Hi-Low-8 or Better reached its final yesterday as well and found Farzad Rouhani on top. He pocketed the $232,911 for his trouble along with the WSOP bracelet. Others recognizable in the field were John Cernuto, Michael Mizrachi, and Hoyt Corkins among others.

Event 11 - $5,000 No-Limit Hold'em Shootout is still underway. Only the final table remains, with six players battling it out. We'll have to continue watching this one. The only real notable still in the running is Greg Mueller. We'll have to wait and see.

Event 12 - $1,500 Limit Hold'em has entered Day 3 with only 18 of the original 880 remaining. Currently Vinny Vinh is at the top of the pack, with over 330,000 in chips. But Erick Lindgren is still in the running on this one too. Obviously I'd like to see him pick up another bracelet! Whoever finally takes it down will have the $257,105 waiting for them.

Event 13 - $2,500 No-Limit Hold'em is still under way and will work its way down to the final 9 before calling it a night. Still among the field are Theo Tran, Lee Watkinson, and Liz Lieu (yum.)

Event 14 - $10,000 Seven-Card Stud World Championship has whittled the original 158 down to 72 as of the time I'm writing this. Only the top 10 will get paid for their time and effort. Still in the running... Daniel Negreanu, Cyndi Violette, Erik Seidel, Andy Bloch, Greg Raymer, David Benyamine, Annie Duke, Phil Ivey, and Scotty Nguyen. Okay so there's still a lot of 'em.

Event 15 - $1,000 Ladies No-Limit Hold'em World Championship. Only 3 1/2 rounds into the event and the field of 1,190 has already been thinned down to 550. These ladies mean business!

Event 16 - $2,000 Omaha Hi/Lo doesn't get under way until 5:00pm PDT, but is expected to be a very popular event. For coverage of this and all the other events please point your browser to http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/. Or I'll have it out here eventually to the faithful among you.

As promised I want to go over some of the details of the game at Shuman's house. I think, without a doubt that the BIG WINNER of the night was none other than Steve "All-In" Allman, who cashed out for a whopping $365 having bought in 2 times during the night ($20 each.) I caused one of those feltings during an Omaha hand. Unfortunately, for Steve we both flopped a full house, I just happened to have the BIGGER one, with Q's full of 10's! If I recall I really only hit 2 good hands the whole time, but in this crowd and the pots they play. That can be enough. I more than tripled up which is a big accomplishment for me in the cash game. The other hand that I recall was a hold'em hand that bot me really kick started. From late position I looked down at Kh-10h. I ended up trying to limp, but got raised by the guy after me, to $2 total. Most others jumped out, but I decided ehhh, I'll give it a shot this time. All night I'd been seeing raises from a lot of guys with absolute trash hands. I had no way of knowing whether this was good or bad. Anyway, the flop came out Ah Jh 4c. I checked it, and it goes back to the intial bettor. He bets out a meager $3. I do a quick count of my outs. Nut flush draw, gut shot straight draw, AND the elusive Royal draw among that as well! The thing that made it really interesting is that he was so excited about his hand, that he thought he'd shoved everyone out and flipped over his SET of JACKS at that point. I said regardless I'm making the call. The turn was a blank... BUT again, he only bet $3. The River showed me the heart I needed. I shove all in... and he still calls!!! Whatever, ship it! He was a little miffed at me for a while, saying I should have told him I saw his hand, and should have let him take back his bet. AHHH, NO! Sorry, thank you, come again. Big Red also had a helluva night! She cashed out for like $125 after buying in for a total of $40. I'm sure there were bigger winners than the two of us, but for once it was nice to have a good/quick session at the tables. JR commented later about the night telling all about Steve's incredible run of luck. He said they played on until 4:00am at which time, Allman treated JR and Russell to breakfast. JR, said he'd never seen anything like Steve's run of cards, and the beat downs he was putting on people. Congrats Steve, now I'll expect you to lose some of that back this weekend. : )

Hope to see many of you this weekend for NDPT Tournament #8! As always the WSOP recaps will continue.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: