Sunday, June 01, 2008

WSOP Event #1 final table today, & my own poker evening

Having read the latest over at PokerNews http://www.pokernews.com/live-reporting/2008-world-series-of-poker/event-1-10000-plhe-world-championship/ on Event #1 $10,000 PLHE, it appears as though Eli Elezra was not able to hold on to his chip lead and was eventually sent to the rail. The event will wrap up today with only the final table remaining, which by-the-way is a televised event. There will be plenty of excitement and a lot of familiar faces including Andy Bloch, who is the current chip leader. Other easily recognizable pros in the final nine include: Mike Sexton, Phil Laak, Kathy Liebert, and my wife's absolute favorite poker pro/boy-toy Patrik Antonius.

My evening of poker last night at JR's was less than stellar. Blinds were at 25/50 and I had been struggling with finding very few playable hands. A few attempts at position steels met up with some big counter plays, which weren't really plays at all, since my suspicions proved correct when I folded and on two occasions I got to see the hand that would have absolutely destroyed me. In the end however it was a one two punch from first JR and finally Frank that sent me whimpering to the rail. From LP I looked down at AQos, and I popped it to $200 straight, which was fairly standard for my previous attempted LP steals. JR, seated to my immediate left re-opped it another $500. A call there would leave me with $150 behind. But that's exactly where I was headed. I was putting him on a non-paint pocket pair or a healthy Ace. I made the call and my read was correct but his pocket threes bested me soundly when a full house filled in around them 3's full of 6's. Left with only the $150, I didn't even bother to look at my cards and shoved the remainder on the next hand. I was actually kind of excited by the pot, since there were four people in there, which might have dragged me out of the pit I was in. But despite pairing the on the flop, Frank two-paired and my tournament life was over. Going out this way didn't particularly bother me. I mean yeah I hate losing but I took my shot with the coin-flip, and just didn't get there. That's to be expected, but in hindsight I would NOT change my play on the hand.

The cash game didn't go so hot for me either. I was up for a while, but the table was being dominated by 2-3 players who I swear were seeing 90-95% of the flops. The betting patterns were erratic and big bets were being made which at first I wanted to classify as bluffs, but as the evening moved forward what I thought were bluffs were actually bets by folks that thought their cards were great, when they were actually rags. Tells in this game were useless, and Vince and I had just that discussion. When you read someone as being strong by their body language you've got to take into account that sometimes they just don't know what the fuck they're doing. Ignorance can be a powerful weapon! : ) I ended up on pocket 8's, and had to call a $3 pre-lop raise in this .25/.50 NLHE game. The flop came J-9-x... and I didn't put my opponent on any of it. He bet out $5 anyway, I shoved a raise for a total of $17.50. He insta-called it with a gut shot straight draw and got there immediately. They asked if I wanted to rebuy, I decided I'd pass on that. Just wasn't my night. Eric saw me later and noted that I did sound a bit salty as I exited the room. Yeah, I probably was... it's just frustrating watching chips going the wrong way. I think back when I first took up this game, and I swear I don't recall EVER playing some of the absolute shit cards that were taking down pots. I'm very tempted just to sit in my next game and play every single frackin' hand, and just see how far over the edge I can put some of the competition. I'd be curious to know the inner workings of the minds of others in these situations. How much they continue to think about a given hand or session, and how it turns and rolls over in their minds. I can't be unique in this can I? Nah, didn't think so. Was I on tilt, in the end... yes, that's very likely. What separated me from the herd, was that I chose not to play on. I could have only re bought for the $20, and I was now looking at 3 players at the table with $50+ stacks. Not a good move for me to make, despite the fact that the ole ego was wanting some serious payback. Next time...

There is a game today, but I don't think I'll make this one either. I've just had enough for the weekend. And poker, as it's been said, is a lot more fun when you're winnin'. Sorry for the sour grapes, but sometimes they make the best wine... or is that whine!?! : P

WSOP Event #2 ($1,500 NLHE) continues today with Day 1b. Yes, the field is huge people. The action will get under way at noon, and will likely cross the 4,000 player mark. On tap for Monday are Events #3 and #4, $1,500 PLHE and $5,000 Mixed Hold'em (Limit/NL.)


Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: