Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Ramblings and musings

Just some odd ramblings and musings today. My thought for the day to the team I suppose expresses a degree of frustration; you decide:

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
~Abraham Maslow

Then, after stepping away from the edge of the abyss, and deciding to press on through another day, I read through some of the news on my iGoogle page. I saw an announcement of a new search site which will "rival" Google. That's a bit premature don't you think! Besides maybe Google should have just squashed it in their algorithmic search. Anyway, the site is www.cuil.com pronounced "COOL." Check it out for yourself. It does share the "minimalistic" front page, of course I say that having replaced the minimal norm with the uber content iGoogle page. I'm a glutton for punishment.

I decided to give "CUIL" a chance and try my hand at a search. I took a shot with my own vanity and plugged in "ndpt" to see how my little creation would come up. Ouch, several pages deep before NDPT actually was found/cited by the search engine. Sorry guys that'll have to improve by leaps and bounds before you get me as a repeat customer!

Others who happen to share the acronym to which I've tried to give additional life:

NDPT

  1. National Democratic Party of Tibet
  2. National Deaf Poker Tour
  3. National Danish Performance Team
  4. Next Day Printed Tees, Inc
  5. Nonequilibrium Dynamic Phase Transition
  6. National Democratic Party of Tajikistan
  7. Non Destructive Performance Test
  8. Normal Deformable Plate Theory
  9. Nebraska Doctors of Physical Therapy
  10. N Debt Poker Tour
Well at least only 10 of us have anything to do with poker. I guess I can share. It's not like I'm a threat in popularity as of yet. : )

It's time to get back to the grind, and I'm not talking about on the felt. Episodes 1 and 2 of the WSOP 2008 will provide the background noise which will hopefully see me through the day. I finished downloading it yesterday for a repeat view/listen. I'll listen this time. The first time I watched it, without the sound (not by choice I was sitting in a bar where the barbarians were more interested in listening to some DJ pop/dance mix.)

And away I go...

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: