Monday, October 22, 2007

Buckle up...here we go!

I posted the bulk of the following to the HPT forums as well, with a few modifications, and a little something extra for all you here on the home team!

An early bustout on Saturday night, at my own home game, left me feeling in the words of Teddy KGB, "so unsatisfied," to the point, that with minimal coercion by some of my fellow poker lackeys, a ROAD TRIP was in order! Yup...3 of of piled in the car and headed for Wheeling Island, to behold the newly opened West "by God" Virginia poker room addition to the Wheeling Island Racetrack and Gaming Center. We arrived at MIDNIGHT. All 20 tables were FULL! We put our name on the waiting list signup boards. How popular is poker?...well the waiting list for 1/2 NLHE had 94 players on it, and 2/4 Limit had 74! There were 40 on the waiting list for 2/5 NLHE, I couldn't tell you how many there were on the Omaha, and Omaha Hi/Lo, but I do recall that there were 25 on the waiting list of the 7-card stud game. There was even an "interest list" forming for a 10/20 NLHE table! I'd like to report a winning session, but it just didn't come together for me. Hands of note for me for the night. My first two dragged pots, were lackluster, since I had to split 'em!!! 1.) Late position I look down at AJc. The board comes Kc-Qc-9h. Like I'm EVER gonna get away from this one. The river brought the 10...unfortunately not the elusive 10 of clubs! I've got my straight, and table it proudly, only to watch 2 OTHER GUYS turn over their AJos as well, for a 3-way split! ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGH! 2.) From late position AGAIN, everyone limping in, I join 'em, with a KJos. Flop K-2-2 feel pretty good about it...the turn is a blank...the river is another KING, and makes a flush possible for someone, but my boat feels really good now! But I get to split it as well with the lady from Florida to my right, who also has a KING...and had me dominated up to the river with her KQ! Splittin' sucks, but I did dodge a bullet there! I dragged a small pot, with a straight, and then proceeded to lose with a set of 5's...a set of 6's...and I got pounded on 2 flopped straights, when the river flushed someone other than me, once by the schmuck with the 72s, who just "had to keep me honest." But hey...I had a great time, and I think they've made a great start with the poker room. The table "features" were very nice, with the LED screens which display for the dealer everyone's name. When you sit, the dealer swipes your players card. When you leave, they press a button for your seat, and it is immediately vacated by the system, and updates the floor and they go to the waiting list. Call buttons for chip runners, another for cocktails, and another for "floor decisions." I give them high marks in that regard. I'm sure they'll be adding some additional waitresses, who were doing their best to keep 'em coming, throughout the night. The bar is just outside of the poker room, and next to it is the restroom, which are both a BIG plus in my book. I expect that the the poker room at Wheeling will continue to be a hot spot, although around the first of the year, when the rest of the table games open people will have additional options at their disposal. Of course, by then the poker room will be running more tournaments, SNG's, etc... If you have the chance, I highly recommend checking it out. We wandered out into the world the next morning, when the sun was coming up, and headed for home. There were a few empty tables at that point, but the room was still very much occupied! I don't think I actually saw an empty table in the room until after 3:00AM.

As soon as I make it to Chester, WV to visit Mountaineer Racetrack and Gaming Center, I'll report on it as well. And then later on when Cross Lanes, Tri-State Racetrack and Gaming Center opens it's poker room and table games I'll head there as well. Wow, maybe I've got issues...but until I pass that final judgement, in the meantime I've got OPTIONS!!!

Also, all the results from NDPT #10 and the points race are all updated on the homepage. Visit and enjoy! BIG THANKS and LOVE to BIG RED for allowing me to head to Wheeling on the spur of the moment...and letting me back in the door, despite coming home with fewer dollars than I left with. Next on the conquest list...Chester, WV! What's that about a weekend road trip? Did I hear something...from someone...anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller... Oh and eerie similarities were discovered on the drive to Wheeling. John Cusack...that's all I'm sayin'... AND sadly Frank now understands what snoring is all about! JR already knew from Vegas. I'm sure Frank will have things to add as well on his blog, check it out.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: