Tuesday, October 23, 2007

carpe viam :-)

Dreary day...but despite this fact, I managed to get in my walk up Market Street at lunch. I haven't posted much about this BUT I've actually been giving an honest effort at trying to get "active" again. Decided to work up slowly for a while and walk, instead of jumping right back into the running thing, and frustrating myself. Ticker might have given out on me...and I thought I should spare the world from that much blubber flappin' in the breeze. I read a while back that one of the Bloggers I read frequently was none too pleased with the body staring back at him in the mirror, and was going to get back on a diet and lifestyle change. I started to post a comment to his blog, wishing him well, and tell him we were pulling for him, but then I thought...his decision (like mine) is a very personal one. You're not doing it for anyone but yourself. It's the one time that it might be okay to be selfish. It's yours and no one can force it on you, or want it enough for you. So, I stayed out of it. I didn't even bother to tell him that I've been walking for about the past 3+ weeks. Honest. Around 3-4 times a week, when I started. No it's nearly every work day. AND now in the past week or so, I've also added in a treadmill walk/run for around 30 minutes. I'm working my way back up to where I'll easily be able to run that first mile without being winded, or in pain. I gotta stick to this. Lotsa reasons. I think the mysterious abdominal pain I had a while back was due to carrying around too much tonnage. My cholesterol is still high, despite medication, and the doc already told me that my cholesterol levels were "directly" tied to my weight, and that yes that sucks, but it does empower me to at least do something about it. I just needed to stop living a sedentary life, and get up and fargin' MOVE! I've seen that same type of comment from some of the pro poker players as well. You have to work at your own physical and mental well-being in the same fashion that you would work on your poker game. So, I've been trying to do something about it. I've made some "small" modifications to my diet, trying to limit the overindulgence, but I'll admit, that I still occasionally dive into a little junk food. Sadly, when I used to run ALL the time, so many years ago, I ate just about whatever I wanted. I was burning off the calories quickly and easily. I want that body back again. I want to fell that "good" again. Why did I stop? Life... I don't know, I wish I had an answer. Now I have the "privilege" of going through the long and arduous struggle of getting back to where I was. Feels like a back at zero proposition. I'm also convincing myself that efforts in this physical fitness realm are going to have a very real and profound affect on my poker game. I'll become more happy, more confident, eager and aggressive, or so I'm telling myself at least. I may be fooling myself BUT as with other tricks we play on ourselves, it just might work. Sometimes when you feel lucky, or your confidence level is high, a great many good things happen. I'm tired of moping around about the weight...and for that matter my run of cold cards. It's time to take the bull by the horns. It's time for me to get off my "fat" ass and get moving again. In keeping with the motto of the Dead Runner's Society of which I spent a great deal of time reading and discussing a passion for running it's time to:



-translation from the Latin: 'Seize the Road!' or specifically 'Seize the Way!'





Words to live by, at least for a runner. I wish I'd never lost the passion for the thing. I'm hoping I can get it all back. I think it is absolutely essential at this point to my mental and physical well being. No need to comment, this is about me, for me, and not for any of you. I've gotta do this thing. It's not only going to be healthy for me, but it may lift the "brain-cloud." Now how many of you know what that means? Where it came from? Hell I think I may have even mentioned it one other time, in a past blog post.

Enough about my turning over a new fitness leaf...on to other things.

A few more articles in the press regarding poker in WV:

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Business/2007102213
http://www.theintelligencer.net/page/content.detail/id/501292.html

High points (quotes) from these articles:

"Seats in the poker rooms were filled to capacity until at least 5 a.m. Sunday, and even then the rooms remained largely filled, officials said."

"He added that from an operations standpoint, the opening went 'very well.'"

"Neither Marshall nor Mountaineer track officials would say just how much revenue was taken in over the weekend, but West Virginia’s state coffers are awaiting their take."

"The tracks are responsible for paying the state taxes equaling 35 percent of their gross revenue."

“Even during our very busy opening this weekend, guests only experienced a 45-minute wait time," he said. “We are confident players will be able to be accommodated throughout the gaming day at Wheeling Island.”

I wish them all luck, in continued successful operations. May my well wishing, contribute to the "karmic-well" and some of the will flow back to me in spades, or aces, or just some nice friggin' starting hands!

Enough uber posting for the day.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: