Thursday, October 04, 2007

Holding pattern

I'm in a bit of a holding pattern. Of course I'm talking about whether I'll be playing cards tonight with the Jackson crew. (Recall my recent foray into the depths of pokerdom with the sharks, at Bob and Cassie's home. Coming away down only $20 after 6 hours, was actually nothing to be ashamed of, considering the night's loser walked out $1,500 lighter.) But enough with the recap...the reason for the holding pattern, is I'm waiting on Matt to call me today, to let me know where "tonight's" game is being held, if there will be one. Then, I need to find out when I can be there, and Matt, and maybe even JR this time. Cole has football practice til around 8:00pm or before. Matt said his kids have a game, so it would be about that time for him too. I'm just torn about whether I want to leave after getting home at 8:15pm-ish, to get wherever I'm going, get situated and then be able only to play up until midnight. I do have to work the following day, after all. It would be a truly dismal experience if the cards ran as cold as they did last time. BUT, it is poker and I could be playing it tonight...and well it's rather likely now isn't it. Unless of course Big Red changes my mind.

Several of us met last night at BW3's, with our children all in tow! The Murrays, the Jacksons, the Wolfes, and the Rubles (JR and his mom...who by the way is VERY COOL!) Several 23oz glasses later and the conversation and laughter was reaching new heights. Matt and I continued to discuss and re-analyze the previous "game" from last Friday night. One statement that struck me...and was true was... "Yeah, you were pretty down on yourself on Saturday, after that game." Then, later he added, "Aside from needing to loosen up a little bit, I can only fault your play on that final all-in bet on the turn(speaking here of the hand I busted on versus Carl.)" He went on to say, "The only hand that 'could' call you here, was the one that beat you. He was first to act...and when he checked to you, you should have followed right in behind him, and just see what materialized. Now, that isn't to say that when the river hit, and Carl bet out small or substantially, even to the point of putting you all-in, you might have had to make the call there, but that it was different." Either scenario...got all of my money in the pot, and away from me...but the second approach would have in fact been smarter. It would have at least given me more analysis time, to run it all out in my head. Online, I would have been less-inclined to make that call, because I was staring right at the 'four to a straight' and all he needed was a 6, which he had to torpedo my 9's over 8's. Why online would that have been so much easier for me? Why wouldn't it be just the opposite. At any rate...I want another crack at the game. I learned some things, and I hope I have, and will make some adjustments.

I'm hovering back around $101.xx on Bodog, after getting involved in some miserable hands. A lot of flopped 2-pairs for me, being turned and rivered into losing hands. Many times I've been able to drop them. But it's been expensive in terms of wasted bets. It has also, made me look a little weak. I even had the common sense to drop my cowboys the other night, when the board looked like Q-10-J-Q, and the guy to my left went nuts, and bet out hard. I made him for at least a Q, if not Q-J. Either way, I was behind, despite not starting there. Heck even Big Slick would have crushed me here, but I couldn't put him on that. Don't know why, just couldn't, but I could put him on the other two.

As you can see from the previous Blog Post that I'm signed up to play in the PokerStars' Bloggers Tournament. Hopefully that will pan out for me, and Cole's game will be over in time on Sunday. Notice I'm hopeful that his team will still be "in it, to win it" by then. I'll know after this coming Sunday if they will advance to the next playoff round, which is the following Sunday, and the same day as the Blogger Freeroll. I'm excited and looking forward to it. Wonder how many will sign up?

There's a lot going on in the month of October. The Red Snappers are headed to Bedford, PA, for a craft show extravaganza on Saturday, along with Patty, Libby and Ellen. Not sure but Shuman even mentioned maybe throwing together a cash game, this weekend sometime. Cole's playoff game is Sunday, then Monday (the 8th)is Columbus Day, then the next two days I'm off, and will be "staining" the accursed decks at my house. On the 9th, it's COLE'S B-DAY! The following Thursday the Jackson crew may have another game, depending... The 13th (afternoon,) is Cole's party. That evening JR is hosting his first tournament at his home, in his newly finished poker room...and did I mention there will be a KEG! The following day, Cole's playoffs could continue! Then on the 20th, is NDPT #10, although turnout may be diminished, due to WVU Homecoming Football game, and Bridge Day, etc... for some of my usual suspects. The 26th is our Anniversary! The 27th is Michele and Jeff's wedding reception, which we have to attend. Add all of that up and throw in football practice schedules for 3 nights per week until the bust out of the playoffs, and as you can see I'll be busy for a while. Maybe I'll get lucky, and Wheeling and Chester will have their table game/poker operation up and running by November 1st, and I can treat myself to a "Month-Well-Done."

For those not playing at the Jackson game tonight...wish me luck! Not them, just me! C'mon LUCK ME UP!

How's that for a post?

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: