Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Snow, a choir concert, and teachers?

Greetz my fellow penguins! As I was headed off to bed last night the weather hacks on our local tv station were calling for snow overnight, and treacherous conditions. I was skeptical as I fell asleep. I awoke this morning to initial alerts of a two-hour delay for school which was quickly upgraded to a complete cancellation. Generally speaking the kidlets are treated to more time off due to the predominant secondary roads in the outlying areas. Today, my thinking is that school officials were mostly concerned about the continued accumulation of the white stuff throughout the rest of the day. It's still coming down and I'm lovin' it!

Actually, the snow let me sleep in a bit. At first I was planning to take the kids in late to school for a two hour delay, but when they cancelled Teresa decided I could just drive us both to work. I usually start the day at 6:30, she not until 8:00-ish, after getting the kids to school. I only need the four-wheel drive in a couple of spots, but it was nice knowing it was there. Our office is supposed to be going to Logan's Steakhouse today for our Christmas Dinner, so that'll shorten up the day as well. : ) Of course making me fatter as well, but I did order the Mesquite Grilled Salmon, so I did "try" to eat healthy. I'll keep it down to only a couple of beer chasers! I need to fit in a workout today of some sort. I need to do both the bike and lift, but we'll see. I biked yesterday, which I've done now a few times since the knee has been bothering me so much. I'm a runner though and it's not my first choice, but honestly it hasn't been so bad, and I'll give the Bureau credit for buying some top notch Precor fitness equipment in the room downstairs!

No poker content today kids sorry. Last night was about getting Cole to and from basketball practice, Whitney from cheerleading practice, fed, and then back to her choir concert and then attending that along with my mom. So it was nearly 10pm when I got home and settled in. It was a fantastic concert! The music program at Parkersburg South High School is TOP NOTCH. The tradition of great music and support of the arts in general is very much alive and well in the Wood County, WV school district! The choir director, mentioned "my" old choir director last night and said that it had been her desire to continue the traditions and high standards of performance in keeping with the example which he had set, when she too was his student. I think of Dan Thomas (Mr. T) from time to time and remember him as a positive influence in my life. He taught me the values of striving for personal excellence BUT being part of a greater whole. He taught me to think for myself, and challenge conventional wisdom. All things which you wouldn't necessarily expect from a choir class. He is one of maybe 3 teachers which I remember fondly from my pre-college education who helped form the oddity that is "cheer_dad." In fact, those educators are: Mr. Thomas (11th-12th grade choir), Mr. Stout (9th grade English), and Mrs. Doherty (11th grade Humanities.) Thanks for giving me the tools to work with... (or should I say, "with which to work.") Sorry my prepositions still dangle every once in a while! ; )

Enough of the stroll down memory lane, get back about your business folks...

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: