Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Street Legal


My "baby" girl has become mobile. Even more so than before! Tighten up those seat belts, and check the brake fluid... my daughter Whitney passed her driving test last night, and is now behind the wheel! That's right she is now Street Legal. Of course that's something completely different than "dad" legal, so the solo joy rides will be kept to a minimum. When the little blonde girl asked, "well if I can't drive now whenever I want, then what was the point of getting the license?" Big Red summed it up simply by saying... " it's just something else we can choose to take away from you, if you aren't doing what you're told!" : ) I nearly bit my tongue off to keep from laughing!!!

Whitney is now part of the driving legion, and gets all the benefits to which she is entitled, like backseat drivers, senior citizens on a Sunday drives, with the left blinker on for days, road rage, flat tires, all the real joys in life!

But in all sincerety I am SUPER proud of her for passing her test, and I'll be the first to point out that the parallel parking spot that the drivers have to manuever into now is a helluva lot smaller than it was when I took the test. Of course, I was taking the test in an Oldsmobile at the time! Nonetheless, congratulations baby girl! Great Job!

As for me, I'm in some pain today. My right knee is "screaming" right now. It had been aching last week, so I took 3-4 days off to give it some recuperation time. I ran yesterday, without much problem, but then after the 3 mile workout was done, and just normal walking through the rest of the day, became a problem. Last night it was all I could do to climb the stairs at the house to get to the bottle of Advil! Today, I skipped the workout altogether, but I'm in some pain, from just sitting here most of the day. Big Red called the doctor who is working me in for an x-ray. Although I think I'm dealing with a "soft-tissue" problem rather than bone. But maybe they'll be able to see where bone and bone grinding is taking place. I've said it before, but man it really SUCKS TO GET OLD!!! I hope they can present me with some viable options to get me back on the running trail. It'd be a shame to have come so far, dropping some pounds, feeling better, etc... and then have it all screwed up by an injury, or worse, the body just giving out.

Still on tap for this week: Thursday Night is the Eagles drawing. A couple jack and diets will help silence that damn knee! Friday is Poker Night at the Yanok's for their December qualifier(s) and then followed up the following afternoon by their Year End Tournament. Big Red and I working out some conflicts with Cole's basketball and bowling schedules to try and fit these games in. The mother-in-law may get elected. I really hate to have to miss a freeroll with a $1,000 prize pool for around 15 players... but I will if there's no other alternative. The KIDS do take precedent. (He just better play his little heart out!) : ) Maybe the new driver in the house, can pick up some of the slack, AHEM!!! I mean Uncle June has already determined that she can now be a designated driver!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: