Monday, February 05, 2007

Luxury

Well, I'm allowing myself the luxury of playing online today. After the dismal failures from last week, I took break from the online grind. Perhaps Big Red sensed my sadness over the beatings, and took pity on my wretched spirit. Whatever it was, she and I ended up playing in a tournament on Friday night, and a ring game on Saturday. The first game, was at the Yanok's. I believe they played host to about 14 of us. They normally play two games for the night, but we could only stay for the first, since at the time we had to be up for our son's baseball and hockey games on Saturday. BUT, the snow was falling, all night, even before we left for the Yanok's. It was a bit of a cause for concern since they live on quite the hill in Wellesley. The going up was an adventure, we were a bit concerned about the downhill though. BUT, we survived it after all, by ramping one set of tires up over the curb and just coasting down. Hey don't laugh, it's how they told us to do it! We made it down just fine that way! Now, back to the tournament though. I didn't catch many cards early on, and was concerned. I modified my style just a bit for this game, opting to play a few more hands than is normal for me; however despite this fact, I had a couple of comments like: "...are you going to play a hand?" or "...why are you so tight?" But I paid little attention. This actually served me well, and allowed me to throw few well-timed bluffs. Which were very profitable to me, in the later rounds. The one I was most proud of was my bluff with a 6-3os. I wouldn't normally have tried but I wasn't catching cards and I seemed to pick up on the fact that no one really liked their hands. In the end it was a healthy pot due to my all in move. I even showed it, and the overall effect was incredible. Later when I wasn't necessarily bluffing it induced some calls that I wouldn't have expected, but they were convinced I had nothing because of what I'd shown. In the end it came down to a heads up match-up with an old familiar competitor, Jerry! I've gone heads up with him a number of times and I consider him very good, and very unpredictable. Caution is always in order. We went at each other for a number of rounds, but finally agreed to "chop" it for $105 each. Also, we both got "entry chips" for the End of the Year tournament that is planned. Your starting chip stack will depend on the amount of cash that you won over the course of the year, in his monthly tournaments. I'm kind of excited about it. Jerry's already ahead though, since he'd placed in the tournament last month, which I didn't play in. But there's a lot of months yet to come!

The following Saturday night, we invited a table full of people over for a small cash game. I was able to double up on the night, for a whopping $20 more than I'd sat down with. So, all told for the weekend I made a profit of $105! Which went half of the way to helping me lick the wounds from earlier in the week. I guess I'm only down $145 now. Which still sucks, but I'm not as down and out as I was before. Now if only I could be redepositing these wins online to be able to easily count it all up. I guess what I'm going to have to do from now on is keep track of every performance, that I can! Ring/Tourney and Live/Online. That I guess would give me a truer picture of my actual performce level. There are some areas that I could improve, and I know it. Right now, online I'm just treading water though. But I have NOT let it creep in to affecting my play. We'll see if the trend continues. I'd like to see a hot run of cards that would boost me over the top today, but those rarely happen in limit do they!?! At least not for me. Others seem to hit them, and just absolutely go off the to the races! I watched a guy at the tables last week, start with $100, drop to $80, and then seemed to go on a monster rush, and when I left the table he was sitting at $260! That NEVER happens to me. Maybe I'm just too cautious to let it happen. If so, and that is indeed the reason, then this is definitely a hole that I need to fill in my game.

I read something last week that made me think about what game(s) I should really be playing. I've been on this $1/$2 Limit kick for quite a while now, and it has been profitable for me. But this recent downturn has been worrisome. Was it me...was it variance, or TILT? How could I know. Well I could be tracking, that would help a lot. (Of course here I sit once again, not tracking.) I need to remedy this soon.

I FINALLY got the window decal for my truck today!!! It looks great, and I'll have to go get a picture of it in just a bit to share with you all! The folks at "Sign Language" took great care of me. Thanks Jordana! Also a shout out to all the fine folks at AC Audio/Video, particularly the Millers! Who are regulars to many of the tourneys that I play and/or host.
I suppose this has been long enough for me to have rambled on, but it is kinda like payback for failing to do so since Friday, so hopefully you'll forgive me. Before I post copy all of this from Notepad and put it out on Blogger I'll go and get a picture of the truck, like I promised. I'm in now for over 230 hands on two tables since I started this blog episode up, and am only up a few dollars, BUT I guess it beats the heck out of losing! So I'll take it and add it to the overall "score."

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: