Thursday, November 13, 2008

42nd Annual CMA Awards

Country Music had its big night last night and as you can imagine at "Casa de cheer_dad y big red" the tv was tuned in for the duration. Admittedly, my wife is the bigger country music fan, whereas I waffle among many different kinds of music. Okay, I'm fickle... My iPod is a real mish-mash of jazz, soundtracks, country, rock, pop, and even some metal. (No friggin' RAP though!) I'm talking about "music" here. But I digress, back to the CMA's!

The show was hosted by Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley, both of whom were showered with awards throughout the evening themselves, in addition to their presenting and performing duties. Carrie took down the Female Vocalist of the Year and Brad garnered the Male Vocalist of the Year.




My wife of course took great pride in the fact that her man Kenny Chesney took down the coveted Entertainer of the Year accolades for the 3rd year in a row, and 4th time overall. She called it before the envelope was opened, stating, "he's the only one who can fill up the stadiums!" Chesney was truly humbled again by the award and exuded gratitude upon receiving the award which was presented to him by the lovely Shania Twain. She remarked when she took the stage that it was good to be back and that we would be seeing a lot more of her. Perhaps this suggests a return to the country music scene for Shania following her split from Jeff "Mutt" Lange. As I said in a previous post... what an idiot! Despite the reasonings for her return, it's nice to see her back in the spotlight.

Some other not surprising awards throughout the night. Rascal Flatts took home Vocal Group of the Year, Sugarland took Duo of the Year and front lady Jennifer Nettles also took home top honors for Song of the Year for "Stay." I really like the song, and her heartfelt performance of the song in the simplistic video is absolutely stunning. (I do really wish she would return to her long hair though.) : )

An appearance I can always do without is Nicole Kidman. I like to hear Keith Urban perform but something about his missus really annoys me. Is she never out in the sun, with that pasty complexion, and I keep waiting for the fangs to come out and for her to lunge at Keith's neck. Okay, I'll quit now...


A surprise appearance for me to see was Darius Rucker (former Hootie and the Blowfish frontman) performing at the CMA's. I hadn't realized that he'd crossed over, and didn't realize he was the artist that sang this song “Don’t Think I Don’t Think About It,” until he performed it live last night. Very good performance.

If you missed the CMA's you can check out all that happened and see a lot of pics and clips over at http://www.cmaawards.com/2008/.

Congratulations to all of the winners!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: