Friday, November 21, 2008

Cole made the Basketball Team!


My son, Cole was SOOOOO proud last night, when I picked him up from basketball tryouts! It was a little strange at first, since none of the boys was telling whether or not they made the team as they exited the gym one at a time. In fact, Cole and I headed outside immediately for the truck. I was a little cautious, and didn't want to ask him if (you know) it was bad news. Then, I caught a glimpse of him out of the corner of my eye, and he was sneaking a peek over each shoulder to see that no one was around. Then, he said, " hey dad ask me if I made the team."

I said, "oh I didn't know for sure if they were going to tell you tonight. So, did you make the team?"

He smiled really big and said "Yeah, I made it!" He went on to tell me that he didn't know who else made the team yet, since the coach had told each kid individually as they left the gym. And they were instructed not to talk about it in front of anyone else. I thought that was right decent of the coach! Also, he was honest with each boy that made the team as well, and gave them an indication of how much playtime they could expect. Obviously, the older boys and those who have greater skill are going to be playing. This isn't like REC league. This will be Cole's first year, and so he will likely ride the bench more than the others, but he said he didn't care. He recognized that making the team, he would be practicing and warming up at games, and would get some late game play time as well. He understood, they he has room to improve his skill in basketball and he openly admits that there are people that are better than him, BUT he saw this as an opportunity to get better. He said he tried his absolute best, and tried to show the coach that he could hustle and that he really wanted it, and I think in the end it showed. Of the 33-ish kids to show up for tryouts only around 13 kids made the team.

I'm really proud of the level of effort and intensity that Cole put into this and I told him so. I only look for him to improve throughout the season, and very likely continue on and make the team again next year, where with his size and power, he will be a formidable player. Great job son!

We're taking him out to dinner tonight to celebrate...

In other news, Big Red hit for $450 on the slots last night at the Eagles. Her luck on those damned things is just insane! And really she doesn't play them all the time. Usually just on Eagles night, and other times when she takes off with her mom. But most certainly she has won much more than she's lost. I on the other hand, am just staying away from the accursed contraptions.

Have a great weekend all.

Regards,

cheer_dad

1 comment:

BWoP said...

Congrats to Cole and Big Red!