Friday, April 24, 2009

Baseball fever... catch it!


Last night excited me for the baseball season! And I'm hoping that not only does the sickness aflict me for the duration... but that I am also highly contagious! My boys, the Eagles took the field last night in a mere scrimmage game, but played with heart and soul. In the first inning, our starting pitcher Bryce allowed only 1 hit, and no runs! Only the opposing team's lead-off batter got the ball in the air. The next three batters took the strike out. As this was a scrimmage game, I wanted to see what "everyone" could do, so I swapped out several pitchers throughout the innings. In doing so, I learned some of the things we need to work on, and how I can help to re-inforce to my pitchers what their job is, AFTER they have released the ball. Covering the plate when the ball makes it past the catcher. Being ever mindful of the villain on 3rd base. A couple of them really got this element, and owned the field. Some are still in the mindset of their previous level in the league (coach pitch.) Getting the ball back in the circle of the mound no longer kills ANYTHING. It's all live, all the time. I think the boys began to pick up on the energy of the game. You can run drills all you want in practice, but until you've got another team staring back at you some of the things just don't sink in.

Other high points in the game, included great runner pick offs. Drew brought an inning to an abrupt end when he snagged a grounder at 2nd, popped up... tagged the advancing runner heading for 2nd base and then made the throw to 1st for the double play. The grin from ear to ear when he trotted back to the dugout was priceless. Landon, the smallest/youngest kid on the team shocked us all when he got a hit with EVERY at bat! A couple singles, and a double to his credit, including an RBI, that put us on the board first. And last but not least, I'll brag on my own son, Cole. He opted to be the catcher for the entire game! I gave him the option, he wanted it. He showed incredible stamina, became a wall against which nearly no ball got passed, and just devoured the position. Something else which really struck me, and gave me great pride was listening to him chatting up his pitcher. "Come on, right down the middle," "put this guy away," "you got 'em," "you're doin' fine." Constantly, providing positive support. It made for an exciting game, and a good night at the ballpark. We ended the night with a tie game 3-3, but it was late and they all had school to deal with the next morning. Congratulations to both teams for a game well-played! But just a little bit louder... Let's Go EAGLES!!!

To put you in the baseball mindset, and to fuel the season's obsession head over to http://www.quotegarden.com/baseball.html and check out some famous baseball quotations.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: