Sunday, April 26, 2009

Long day at the ballpark

Yesterday was a rough day at the ballpark. It began for me, at around 11:30 when I got there to get situated for my umpire gig of the majors. I think I umped a pretty fair/straightforward game, with very few questionable calls of pitches. Although one fan seemed to feel differently. I didn't ask for the job, but I don't shirk the responsibility. And trust me the ball looks a helluva lot different as it zooms toward you. Some of those that look pretty from outside the fence ain't so hot when you're staring at them. They may be good up and down in the strike zone, but just a bit on the outside or inside. Still, you're the poor sap who has to call it when it happens. The really stupid part about it is that the guy bitchin' and moaning was a parent of a kid on the team that was winning!?! Dumbass... Go relive your glory days on your own time. But I survived it... and there was no lynch mob in wait afterward.

Then, it was on to the team pictures. After that I got to sit down for maybe 10 minutes and plot out my batting order and field positions. The game started with my son Cole on the mound. I left the choice up to the Bullpen Manager (at least that's what I tell him his title is.) My only concern was that he have HIS son available on the mound for the last 3 innings when the base-stealing started. At that point Cole could be back in the catcher's gear. Well the best laid plans, have a tendency to come "undone." Cole walked the first batter. Then, struck the next one out! Then, he motioned for me to come out to the mound. "Dad, I feel sick." I thought it was nerves, but he made it clear that he wasn't sticking around. No sooner did he get back to the dugout than he threw up. They got him out to the grass where it continued for a bit. Teresa took him home, where she took his temperature and he was fevered. He felt lousy for the rest of the day, but rested and whatever the bug was that had bothered him, is finally out of his system this morning.

Back to the game, now I've got pitching and catching dilemmas. But I moved some kids around and got through it. We lost, but mainly because of a lack of hitting on our parts. The final score was 8-5, BUT 6 of their points were due to 2 home runs, by the same kid with two runners on base. That we held it to that and still came within 3, was pretty amazing. The boys played well. I've got some focus and discipline issues to deal with. But I'm hopeful they can come around.

Anyway, so I got to see my son play for like 2/3 of an inning and then leave... and yet I was still at the ballpark for 6 and 1/2 hours. Long day indeed. Next game, in Vienna... on Monday. Hope things work out better for us.

Regards,

cheer_dad

1 comment:

BWoP said...

Glad to hear that Cole is feeling better.