Thursday, April 23, 2009

Fickle Wench...


My mistress Lady Luck is a fickle wench. I returned to the tables later on in the night and watched as I merely treaded water in a sea of craptacular hands at all 4 tables. I stole from a few spots, and managed just to minimize the draining of my chip stack. Then, joy of joys, pocket Aces, in late position and I get to raise. I get one caller, a rather innocuous flop shows up and he rams and like an idiot I call. I figure he's either bluffing or not... man I'm a friggin' genius. Call... he shows pocket Jacks, which go nicely with the one that showed up on the board. I have a not flush draw, but it doesn't get there. You know though, what can you do. I could have been a complete wuss and dropped Aces, but there's no history to draw from on this guy to lead me in that direction. I've got no notes inscribed next to his name. I got nuthin' but my two RED ACES staring back at me. So, Lady Luck deals me a blow to take away some of what I bragged on her about earlier. But, you know, I've bounced back up from a few weeks ago. It's slow going, but being back over the $500 mark again gives me some leeway. A little more than a single buy-in loss is not devastation. It's barely a blip on the radar. Herein, lies the true value of bankroll management. All successful poker players regardless of the stakes at which they play, must acknowledge the fact that sometimes you just lose, despite your best efforts. Sometimes you lose because of your worst efforts too, and every other level of effort you can think of. But having a legitimate/sustainable amount of cash set aside for the purpose enables you to ride it out, and allows you to return to the table another day, and at some point you will begin to climb.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: