Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Fat Bastard


So, I'm a fat bastard... I mean here for a while now, I've been trying to get my 41 year old frame back in shape. But round is a friggin' shape isn't it? I thought I'd been making progress. I have had a bit of a plateau here for a little over a week now, due to some pain/injuries. Between the bad kink in my back and what feels like spike being driven into the side of my knee, I have had to skip 2 or 3 running sessions. Others, I've suffered through the pain, and just kept moving. Now fast forward to today... this morning to be more precise. Since I'm a lead here at the ole Bureau, there seems to be an interest in keeping me healthy (or maybe they just wanna know my weaknesses so's they can apply pressure in the right areas!) Anyway, so I go down to the Health Unit this morning at 6:45. I'm subjected to a battery of vision, and hearing test, medical history questionnaire, both personal and familial. Blood pressure, lung capacity and force, heart rate and heart rate recovery following exertion. AND the grandaddy of ALL great reckonings... "step up on the scale!" (You there in the back, stop with the snickering!) Hey, I'm actually all happy at what I'm looking at when the scale finally stops its digital teetering back and forth. It actually shows that I've lost in the neighborhood of 23 lbs, since I got off my backside and started running again. Go cheer_dad!!! Then, we start with the crunching of the numbers. I'm somewhat vertically challenged at 5' 9 1/2" (not an oompa loompa by any stretch of the imagination.) But pit that with the 207 lbs I'm carrying around... and measure it up against this here Body Mass Index chart: http://www.consumer.gov/weightloss/bmi.htm. And what ya got yourself there, is an obese male of the species. Following along if you will. The height puts me at 70 inches-ish (they round up) thank goodness for the half inch! Then, throw in the weight, and you get yourself a BMI of 30. Not just overweight... obese! I so depressed... I A WOOSER! Still I suppose there's hope.

Despite the gloom and doom report on my physical well being, I think I'll live to see the sun rise again in the morning. My goal has been all along to get back down to 180. You know where I'll only be half the degrees of a circle. (Sorry my daughter's geometry homework is showing through.) I'm getting there... dealing with some aches and pains, associated with someone in my advanced years! : ) And the creator of the BMI chart can kiss my obese ass if he's so inclined. If not, let me get back to the business of living. Undeterred during the lunch break, I headed down to the gym and put in my standard 3.5 mile run( which I do at least 4 times a week!) So stick that in the ole BMI chart!

No comments: