Friday, May 01, 2009

Uncle June can get bent!

It has been asserted by some vile and despicable sub human (in short one of my friends) that I don't keep the ole NDPT Blog updated. That I don't post like I used to, that I just don't "give til it hurts" anymore. And thusly, I've come up with the above title for this little diatribe of a blog post! I had a slew of other obscenities I could have tossed in there too, but then the obscenity filters of the Bureau would kick in, and block access to this little corner of the intertubes and then what. I could get all subversive out here, but no one would ever read it. I mean "hello, who's reading this shhtuff from their home internet connection!" DUH! I'm nothing if not a work-diversion. And to THAT end, a marathon post was threatened... a marathon post it is.

Head over to http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/marathon (or don't since I'm going to elaborate here anyway) and you'll find "marathon" overly defined. The first definition while accurate is not always best. "1. foot race over a course measuring 26 mi. 385 yd. (42 km 195 m)." Having run one of these "foot races" myself in Columbus, OH a few years back, suffice it to say, it is 26.2 miles... which is to say, that shit is LONG! It stands as the single greatest/grueling/exhilarating thing I've ever done. However definition #3, "any contest, event, or the like, of great, or greater than normal, length or duration or requiring exceptional endurance: a dance marathon; a sales marathon." is actually more akin to a marathon blog post. Not only will the writing of it require exceptional endurance... but the reading of the beast will suck the life from your very soul! Mwahaha! Oh, incidentally I'm glad to see the referenced origin of "marathon" listed: "Origin: 1895–1900; allusion to Pheidippides' 26-mi. (42-km) run from Marathon to Athens to carry news of the Greek victory over the Persians in 490 b.c." Nice little bit o' trivia, that.

But a post should have substance, am I right? And on a purported poker blog, it oughta have at least some of that too. So, tonight, May 1, 2009 at 7:00pm there will be another Poker Tournament at the local Eagles Aerie. However, I don't know that I'll be there. Big Red is going, but I may stay home and hang with the kids. You know that whole family first thing! Life needs a little balance. But you never know, things could change. But there's no lack of pokery opportunities in the near future. The Yanok's game is scheduled for Next Friday, the 8th, although I will likely have to pass on at least Game #1, as I have to umpire another baseball game starting at 6:00pm. Speaking of umpiring... the last umpiring gig, has left my back in shambles! That odd squat down, has knocked something seriously out of whack. So much so, that after my long 41 years on this planet, I actually broke down and went to see a chiropractor for the first time. So far, I'm not entirely sold on the experience. I honestly expected a bit more relief from the visit. It really is hell to get old! Another game is scheduled for the Wolfe's way out on May 16th, so like I said there's no shortage. I won't have any trouble getting into a game.

I'm actually getting more satisfaction (and aggravation) from my online play, as of late. I'm climbing back up a bit... although I noticed my Win % at showdown had declined a bit, and so during my last session and took steps to make that statistic get back on the rise. I got it over the +50% range, BUT then still found myself quitting for the evening down a little less than a single buy-in. However, I was just blinding away. Some nights you can't get something going. I've grown to accept that.

Tomorrow Whitney is heading off to prom with boyfriend Jordan. I'm glad for her, but will be happy when the insanity of her preparations is OVER! Sheesh! Little blond girl, you are killin' me! Is all of this REALLY necessary. Daddy, thinks not!


The job has really kept me busy! No really! I've actually felt a sense of renewed purpose as a result of it. It's not bad to feel gainfully employed AND needed! The team has its quirks, but then again so do I so we're getting along fine. Hopefully the new boss agrees. Then again, when have I ever really worried about that.

Hope all is well with each of you in your respective necks of the woods. Certainly, this isn't my most uber length/marathony type posts, but I'm sure a number of you gave up long before arriving way down here. So, I'll close it out for the one, who I know out of sheer stubbornness and spite will have read it out to the bitter end by saying: Uncle June... get BENT!

Regards,

cheer_dad

1 comment:

Smarta88 said...

I read every word!!!