Friday, June 08, 2007

Fish n Chips


aahEEt...let's get this thing started.I looked around for a Google Image before getting started on this post. Nothing in particular, just something to explain...say sorry for...or otherwise make up for failing to post more regularly. But then I thought I'd just get started instead. I was procrastinating my procrastination for Pete's sake. I mean how sad is that. Talk about indecisive. Get on with it already.
I logged some more raked hands at Poker Rewards last night. I'm still hovering just over the $20 mark. How messed up is that, but don't let me get started again. I need 62 more raked hands (.25 rake or better, so the pot must go above $4.00 at least) to claim the elusive $100 bonus. That will put me back at the pre, I got humped by the neighbor's cat level, when my 15 minute round cost me $100 with a case of the second best. I struggled for a while after that with what to fix in my game. I'm coming to the realization that it wasn't broken. You can't fix it if it ain't broke. Really. You can't, so stop trying.

So with $20 left in my account I've been forced to turn back into the rock that I once was. Hell, even worse. But last night's session taught a little bit of something. Rock gardens eventually crack, and start playin' the game. Not that being a rock isn't playing but it's not profitable to bonus chasing when everyone at the table is a rock! It doesn't work that way. But there's a balance that must be struck. You need a wildcard at the table. Someone who's taking it up a notch...but not too much, else he pushes everyone out and there's nothing but Blind Ambition going on. Eventually someone cracks and calls, but always it seems at the wrong time. The pushy little donkey will inevitably come up with a hand at about the moment. Then he becomes empowered and emboldened with a bigger roll. Unfortunately, this forces you into an even tighter level of play. Tight can be safe while you're not losing money, but you ain't makin' any either. You force yourself into waiting for monster cards. Two things happen when you get 'em. You push or you play passive. Tight agressive suggests push. But don't forget donk meister, and all the other rocks in the garden that have made you for a rock too, but everyone's lookin' for a reason to call. Really they want to believe that you're still being a rock...that you're playing it straight up, but it's gonna bug 'em though, because they expect the push move from the donkey at the table, but they can't help but think you're making a move on 'em and they're going to want to make sure. You can't bet too high or too low here and every guy at the table's going to have a different threshold of belief. Someone's going to call. You can't please them all. If they don't you're only going to get the blinds. That ain't enough. When you hit big slick it will HAVE TO HIT the flop for it to be profitable. If it doesn't and you bet out 1/2 pot and they smooth call, you're screwed. You can't bet the turn too, and by the River he's going to be wise to you, and bet the pot to which you can't call, with your high card.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that it sucks to play from deep in the hole. You don't have the cash to make the moves that are required. You're really stuck just playing passive, meek and mild. When you're playing deep with the fish, and get burned, you can't drop back down anywhere to build back up. So you do what you have to, to survive. It bites. But fish and chips...they can be good eatin'!

Sorry reader, I've rambled off on a tangent again. I know I had a point when I started all this, but I lost it. The work day has a way of inserting itself, and derailing the train of thought.
Hope all continues to go well at the Series. Vegas still beckons. 20 days from now, I'll be there. I need my confidence fully in tact by then. One goal...one objective. Play well, the money is how we keep score.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: