Friday, November 16, 2007

Under the Weather



I'm only just now, beginning to come out from under the weather, or the sickness (funk) that I've been dealing with. Wow, what a cold, or flu, or fargin' something I've had. Ever since Sunday, I've been sick. The group of us still went to Wheeling, but it was a chore. As bad as I looked that day, as Frank pointed out, on his blog, I would have taken that day, over a couple of the others I had since then. I haven't been this sick in a while. I've been suckin' down Mucinex, anti-biotics, Hall's, Zyrtec-D, Tylenol, etc... You name it, I've ingested it. While in Wheeling I hit the Jack Daniel's pretty hard to sooth the throat, as well as try to numb myself up pretty good. I guess the good news is, that I seem only to go through one of these uber-colds once per season, so maybe I'm done now, for this Winter. KNOCK-ON-WOOD!

I would have blogged more, except for the fact that during a drug-induced attempt to logon to my laptop, I locked my PointSec password. Farkin' security! This also cut into my poker play to a degree, until I downloaded Bodog onto Cole's laptop. : ) All in all poker was kept to a minimum, which was a good thing, and let me rest up and begin to get well. I'm not over this cold, but I don't think it's localized to my lungs anymore, and confined to the upper respiratory system now. I swear I think part of my brain came out, in a Kleenex yesterday.

I did get to read a lot of my latest CardPlayer Magazine, with Annette_15 on the cover, following her WSOPE victory, and EPT final table appearance (2nd place.) What a girl! The article they had on her, really caused me to raise an eyebrow though! She was quoted as saying she wasn't overly impressed by the play of any of the pros, against whom she played. She also very pointedly mentioned NOT being at all impressed by Ted Forrest! She was very critical of his play in fact. She detailed bluffing a lot of folks, and particularly Ted on a hand in which she had a 6-2d. This was in "near bubble time" of the tournament. She bet with no pair, no draw, he raised her to 140,000, with like 300,000 let behind it. And she shoved All-In with her nothing, and he dropped it. The little girl's got BALLS! Her approach is very Balls to the Wall throughout her stay in any given tournament. I would like to see a complete rundown of her entire tournament play. The boring hands, the bluffs, the blind steals, the donk moves, the whole enchilada. I'd like to put myself in to the mindset. I'm really beginning to believe that this is how a lot of people really do play, and that my good cards, slow, methodical approach is from a dying breed of player. The books all lie, and the pros who right them don't even come close to playing by the methodology that they outline within their own books. Hypocrisy! The Emperor has no clothes!

Also, worthy of mention is the fact that this issue of CardPlayer magazine, mentioned West "by God" Virgina! In a "very" short article, they mention the opening of 2 new poker rooms, here in the Mountain State, taking us for the time being to a total of 57 tables, rising from 0 the day before Wheeling and Chester, opened their doors! Yes, I know, we still need to get up to Chester. I need my collector chips...and wanna watch horsies run! If there's one named for anything related to poker in a race, I know I'll bet it, just as I will if there's one out there named, "Sniffin' Glue!"

I did make it back to work today, oh joy...and brought the laptop in, and PC Support guru and poker bud Eric S, got my PointSec dillemna taken care of, after much wailing and gnashing of teeth. Too bad about the sacrificial chicken it took to seal the deal! But you know how technology goes!

No home game's scheduled that I know of this weekend. But don't forget that at the IBEW on Saturday at 6:00pm, there is a Benefit/Fundraiser Hold 'em game for the PHS Girls B-Ball team. Shout-Out to Ms. Miller!!! I know some of the NDPT crew will be joining you, and in fact Big Red mentioned that perhaps the two of us will throw our $50 each into the mix as well, for some card playing, and general entertainment purposes, oh yeah and to support the youth. (Remember it's for the CHILDREN!)

That's enough of a catch-up uber-post to tide over even the most hard-core blog readers among you.

Regards,

cheer_dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting point about the professionals not playing the way they have described in their books. I'm looking forward to Annette's book if she does one:)

Meanwhile to help you cope with your illness, this might cheer you up.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=rXLHWmjA5IE