Friday, October 31, 2008

Sick day rambling

I took the day off from work today, and NO it wasn't because I had a hangover or anything! I'm actually sick. I slept in, lounged around, thought about taking a drill to my head, prayed for death, etc... It's a sinus infection, just like I get every year, several times a year, and makes me hate life. So, I'm drugged up. I did manage to drag myself out long enough to go get the kids from school, and as much as I don't really want to I will likely go to the South football game tonight. Gotta be the supportive parent and all.

I logged on last night after the Eagles and played some cards, as I'd already decided I wasn't going to work feeling like total shit and figuring no one else wanted to have their system polluted with my germs. I should have stayed off of Bodog though. : ( I ended up dropping like $27 last night, due in part to a rash of crappy cards... and one big hand pocket Kings that got spanked by a "set miner" with pocket 6's who called my over-the-top reraise preflop. That one stung a little, and was probably the reason I played on "trying to get it back." I never did... I even sat stupidly and played short-handed and just continued to give another couple bucks away, until I finally just got tired and called it a night.

Today however, I had an hour to kill before picking up the kids, so I dove back in there, like an idiot. But things went a little better. : ) I fired up 3 tables of $25 NLHE. Folded and folded some more for a while, and played only position and some weak holdings. Things turned around big time for me, when I called with K-10s from late position. The flop came out K-8-8. The first guy to bet, bet the pot. I debated but called, thinking it might just be a move, and I should see what happens. The turn was another King. Yes, I'm aware that there was still the possibility of him having pocket 8's, other than the fact that he bet 'em. This time he bet weak... so I popped it, he repopped and the all-in was there for all to watch. When the river brought a 10, I barely saw it, and couldn't figure why we weren't splitting the pot, until I looked again. Nice catch on my part. It sucked for him, because I had sucked out on him in a way. He had been holding Big Slick and had me dominated at the flop, tied on the turn and then I sucked out. Tough break... sorry dude, it'd been happening to me last night. It was just your turn. Another few loose callers on the other tables, put some change in the pot and brought it my way too. When I cashed out at 2:30pm 1 hour and around 160 hands after I'd started, I had an extra $31.50. So I bounced back from last night's loss... and also put the Bodog account back over the $250 mark. Yes, I know my small time poker antics are boring you, but it's a big internet, go elsewhere if you don't like it.

The rest of the weekend is relatively planned out. Bowling for Cole at 10am and at the same time Whitney has cheer practice. I believe Big Red is heading along with her mom and a bunch of blue haired ladies on a bus to the Amish Country... (i think my wallet just shuddered.) Tomorrow night is the Yanok's game at 7:30. I'll likely be anxious to play, but also likely to be fairly well drugged up, and complementing with whiskey for the full effect. Okay, maybe not... I'm due for a decent finish at that game, this year... so don't put any chips in the middle that you don't want to end up in my stack. Is that clear?

Sunday, I'm on tap to take care of patches on our QA region at work. I may be able to take care of it all from here at the house, through VPN. At least I better be. I'd hate to hafta get out of my fuzzy slippers for this.

I also came across this article http://www.mercurynews.com/breakingnews/ci_10856197?nclick_check=1 which talks about Henry Orenstein who invented the hole-card cam for poker on television. He will be "enshrined" in the poker hall-of-fame on November 9th, during the recommencement of the Main Event Final Table. Congratulations to him. That sir... was a stroke of genius!!!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: