Friday, December 21, 2007

The blur that was yesterday

I'm still waiting to sober up. Not hung over, just friggin' tired right now. I think I'm on about 4 hours of sleep at this point, but let me back up this turnip truck and recap yesterday and last night for you.

I left work at lunch to head home and pick up the stuff for Cole's Christmas party at school. Then headed there to hang out with the kids. I think they had a good time, and got plenty of goodies. Then, later after picking up Whit and heading home, I hung out briefly, before taking off again. I took Whitney to her Christmas Choir Concert. Mom ended up meeting me there, and we enjoyed a good concert. The kids did a great job! It struck me last night just how well the choir director is able to manage all these kids. She is remarkable, and truly seems to love what she is doing. It takes a special kind of person to be a good teacher...and even more so to be a good choir teacher. They are the ones, that kids continue to return to the school to see, the one they have to say "hi" to when they attend concerts or talent shows years later. There are few others who will have such an impact. Anyway, that's just the observation I had, I've gotten a bit OFF TRACK again!

Okay, concert over and we head home. Big Red decides that we should go to Gran Ranchero to eat. So she calls Julie and Frank, and away we go. Mid-way through the "meal" and my 2nd TALL Dos Equis, we call JR, and harass him and Nikki, and they end up coming down and joining us. We close the restaurant down, a little after 10:00...and decide we're not done. So it's off to the Eagles, where the beer flows, along with a few shots (not me this time) and the machines take some of our money. There was this long discussion among the guys trying to figure out a song that Tom Petty did. I could remember the video from days gone by, Tom on a motorcycle, stopping at some "bar" in the middle of the desert, kind of a post apocalyptic setting. You know a little Road Warrior-ish. Well it wasn't until this morning that I figured it out, when JR reminded me, when I first got to work. I finally figured it out. The name of the song was "You Got Lucky!" Whew glad that's over.

Not real sure of what time we got home, I know, I know...bad! I go on a late night eating binge, and opt to sleep downstairs, since I'm aware I'm going to be snoring like a bear, and Big Red will be none too happy. Can't sleep at first and fire up laptop, and end up playing a $1 SNG and an Omaha hi/lo ring game. Earlier in the day, I'd played long enough on Poker Royale to blow $3.00. Well I made that back up, by winning the SNG for $3.00, and making $1.50 on the ring game. Go ahead and scoff and poke fun at the uber low stakes, but I was WAY DRUNK, and risking more than some pocket change...would have been stupid. Hell playing at all, was already not the brightest move I've ever made. But whatayagonnado!

So now I'm going on the few hours of sleep I got, and I'm fading. I'll definitely be taking a nap before heading to Yanok's tonight for the Big Year End game. A win tonight would really be a boost, and I could use it. Cross your fingers for me and Big Red, but mostly ME!!! : ) Gametime 9:00pm, see some of you there!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: