Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A catch up post

Once again, I'm behind in my blogging, so I'll once again call upon the work of others. First, over to Lou Kreiger's Blog http://loukrieger.blogspot.com/2007/12/annette-obrestad-wins-tournament.html where he covers Annette Obrestad's winning of the Tournament Performance of the Year Award from the European Poker Awards, in Paris. At only 19, the little lady is tearing up the poker world. I wish her continued success!

There has been extensive coverage of the gathering of poker bloggers in Las Vegas (WPBT, World Poker Bloggers Tour) for their "Holiday Classic at the Venetian. I'll refer you to the following blog post http://www.lasvegasvegas.com/pokerblog/archives/006018.php for pictorial and written coverage of the event, in which 120+ bloggers came together for the 4th Annual Poker Bloggers Holiday Event. I recognize a number of them by name, and some by photo. One day, maybe I'll be able to join their ranks at one of these gatherings.

I also wanted to take the opportunity to thank the Yanok's once again for their hospitality on Friday night for their tournament(s) as always it was a great night. I made one donk move...which cost me a money spot in the tournament. That's what you get when you fail to pay attention. I had the stack to sustain me to a 1st or 2nd finish, but blew it on my mistake. Rather than dwell on it, I'll learn from it, and not make the same error in the future. I guess in the interest of moving things along I'm inclined often times to "rush" to act in a hand. Unfortunately, this has led me to act too soon, and in this case I gave away my stack. Ouch!

Also, thanks to JR for hosting his tournament on Saturday. Thank goodness I was able to make a 3rd place showing in game 1, and Big Red the same in game 2. There was a lot of good times to be had. A lot of drinking and utter mayhem ensued throughout the night. Jr's got the pictures to prove it too! AND, Nikki it was nice to meet you. Hope despite all of our antics and poker playing, that you had a good time. Once you get drawn in to all of our insanity, it'll be a long road back.

NDPT #12 is coming up on December 15th at 6:00pm. This will be the last "regular (points)" game of the year. Only the Year-Ender remains, which I'm still sorting out a date for. We'll discuss and finalize this Saturday. I will have to make sure not to conflict with the Yanok's year ender on the 21st. AND, I have to attend it, since I'm currently the chip leader, for this event! This game will present a strange situation in that, everyone starting will start out with different chip stacks. I think I'll have in the neighborhood of $385, while some will have around $30. Strategy here is going to be VERY IMPORTANT. I'll need to think this through. I'll also need to fully acknowledge the other big chip stacks, and avoid a devastating hand, which could mean the end of my tournament life.

I attended my daughter's basketball game last night, at Edison...and I was not real happy about it. Once again, I watched as my daughter, Heather, and even Laura, got to ride the bench throughout the game until the last 29 seconds at which time the schmuck of a coach finally decided to put 'em in. By this time the game was a lost cause. Frankly, the game was going the direction of Hamilton, since the end of the 1st half. There was at one point an 18 point deficit, that the girls just never recovered from. The coach could very easily have begun putting in the other girls. I think one major flaw in what he is doing involves playing on his starters, and he's absolutely wearing them out. They are beginning to lose steam, and the score begins to show it as we go along. I noticed this week and last that the opposing team's coach was keeping the team fresh, by substituting often. Our coach could learn a thing or two. Whitney and Heather complained, and the coach noted my presence waiting in the wings, and knew I was pissed. Me going up to him, would have been a BIG MISTAKE. Frankly, he didn't want to hear all of the words that I had in mind.

Wish there were more substance to my comments today. A quick re-read makes it all look like a lot of pointless drivel. But there were a number of things I wanted to cover, but just don't think I covered it all very well. I'll make a better effort of it next time.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: