Tuesday, April 15, 2008

My wallet shudders

While Cole and I were trying to stay warm last night down at Tri-C Baseball fields, my wife and daughter were out shopping on a whole other scale. The subject of a new car has been breached in the "casa de cheer_dad" and it's been brought up in casual conversation. Now that Whitney is of driving age (she has her permit now) she's eventually going to have to take the driving portion of the test. None of us were particularly looking forward to her taking the test in either my Dodge 1500 pickup extended cab, or Big Red's Durango for that matter. Frankly the friggin' Hemi is just not something that I think she'd find conducive to the stress of the test, and don't even think about the parallel parking portion of the test. And I'm not real interested in having her drive either of our current tanks out and about in the teenage world. Let's not even get into my blood pressure here folks. Suffice it to say we're wanting to go smaller, yet comfortable. Miles to the Gallon of gas is also a HIGH priority here people. My meager poker earnings just aren't covering the cost that OPEC keeps shoving down our throats. ANYWAY I've gone around the block with my story. So my wife and daughter go to "look" at cars last night. When I return home, nearly frostbitten, and aching from a baseball to each shin, and one to the ribs... out comes the new car brochure for the Toyota Camry. Suddenly I'm gettin' chatted up, something fierce. I know where this is all headed. I know yet another major purchase is looming on the horizon for me. So, I humor her and let her talk, not letting on that I've already spotted the pricing sheet that's already been worked up with her "Jane Hancock" clearly visible at the bottom. Folks what we have here is a done deal. It's all over but cheer_dad's crying. There's a Toyota Camry in my future. This has been further confirmed as of today, when I went down to visit my lovely wife at work (Credit Union) downstairs in my building and find her pouring over the paperwork, finalizing loan forms, a fax coversheet all but sealing my fate.

Okay, I'll quit my whining about it now. Much of this has been in jest after all anyway. I don't particularly like the Durango. My truck on the other hand is like my mostest favoritest vehicle ever! Although I offered to part with her... I wasn't looking forward to having to give her up. Luckily (I think) a compromise has been reached! Whew! And honestly this is a good looking car, that I think we can all be happy with. Now I know some of you way in the back are wondering in your male chauvinistic way about how I could let a "woman" go pick out and buy a new vehicle without having me around. Those of you who would even think it have never really gotten to know my beloved Big Red! Salesmen beware... you've bitten off more than you can chew. Go huddle at your friggin' sales tower and beg for the help of the Sales Manager. She'll take him on too. I wasn't present for the purchase of my last 3 vehicles. Once I showed up just to sign a paper and then left the showroom. The last time I did get to opt for the color that I wanted... and signed the papers and once again left the showroom floor. Trust me, I know my place. I bow to her supremacy in these matters. I just hope the poor salesman eventually recovers. So anyway, I'm sure by the weekend we will have completed the deal.

Like I said it looks to be a beautiful car. I'm sure my wife and daughter will enjoy driving it. I'll never even get close to the steering wheel. : ) Of course I haven't even factored in the exponential increase that I'll be seeing soon in my insurance premiums, thanks to having a new young driver in the family. Ain't parenthood grand.

Guess I better get back to the poker tables and improve my game by at least 10 fold or I'll never be able to afford it.

You there in the back!!! Stop laughing at my misery!!!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: