Monday, March 23, 2009

Poker with the FAM!

The family game alluded to in my last post taught me some things. Else it re-learnt me! It was a family game, with lotsa folks who understood (somewhat) the general concept of poker but that's as far as I'll go. When I headed to the table, the game was already going on, and I sat down. They were playing 5 card and 7 card... Some of them were referring to the five card variety as "stud" others as "draw" however, in either case discards were permitted... go figure. Everyone ante'd a quarter, at least that was the plan, as long as everyone threw in, in order the pot was right. All-too-often however, this wasn't the case. Bets were a minimum of a quarter, to a maximum of a dollar, per round... When the deal finally circled around to me, I asked if anyone knew how to play hold 'em. Not long after that... all other forms of poker were abandoned and we played hold'em exclusively thereafter. Still however under the restraints of betting as outlined. Let's put it this way. There were almost always 9-10 players to the flop, with at least the ante and a called quarter bet in the pot, preflop. Subsequent betting clear through to the river rarely eliminated more than 1 or 2 players. Flushes, straights, boats, were chased off of cliffs, equally and with as much enthusiasm as nothin' but high card. Routinely there were shouts of "they're just bluffin'" despite the fact that the one shouting had absolutely nothing in their hand. Many times they were right, but the bluffed nothin' was more than the caller's nothin' more often than not! I finally re-adjusted my play... meaning no hand was mucked thereafter. Nothing was taboo, nothing was sacred. Donkfest, just doesn't quite sum it all up. I lost maybe 10 bucks for the night... but just considered it socializing. Others revelled in the glory of their superior poker plays, and "just knowin' their card was coming!" Let it go cheer_dad. It was for fun. Big Red of course had the horseshoe firmly shoved up her ass, and buying in for a total of $5, nearly losing it all, bounced back and cashed out for like $58. Considering that this was the slot machine of poker games, that's about right! : )

What I found interesting? The play style, aggression, skill, and demeanor was very much like what I've encountered in Cross Lanes! Chasing, ridiculous bluffs and calls that'd make your head spin. Betting which had absolutely nothing to do with the pot, and minimizing and maximizing were just obscure concepts, not to be bothered with. Granted the stakes here were small, and no one was getting hurt, or rich for that matter this was just so much like my experience at live WV poker. Big hands were not what was making the money, but rather the blindsiding crap hand that came out of nowhere, to topple the initial aggressor. I got a sick sense of gratification from it all. I had to stop applying my value system to others at the table. Reason, common sense, and skill had no place here. If you had it, bet it hard, and keep firing barrel after barrel. They just know your bluffing anyhow. Conversely, don't bother bluffing, because that trick only works on you and no one else. You're the only idiot at the table actually dropping his cards. "Hell, don't he know how to play this game?!?"

Your ole pal cheer_dad was educated today, and remarkably I found something to love about the game again. I might even unpucker the butt-cheeks a little the next time I play and go for a little "gambol" myself.

All in all, I had a great time, and it was really good to visit with Big Red's family. They are ALL great people, and no greater souls have I ever met. We'll have to do it all again. It never ceases to amaze me where some poker lessons come from.

Oh and tonight is the first night of BASEBALL practice for Cole's team. Yes, I'm coaching... and drafting every parent and/or extended family member I can find to take part in the mass chaos. Remember the ole maxim from Bull Durham:
Sometimes, you win.
Sometimes, you lose.
Sometimes... it rains!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: