Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Where are you Joey Knish?


Where is "my" Joey Knish? The "leather-assed" poker player grinding out a living in the confines of the movie Rounders. When I'm foolish, thinking of shooting/aiming too high, where is this voice of reason, offering up the wisdom from his own playbook. Offering to stake me, and get me out from under? He's not around. This ain't no movie... and I'm damn sure not Matt Damon. Of course on the plus side, I'm not into TeddyKGB for 3 stacks of high-society either. My minuscule bankroll still exists, but it seemed to have gone stagnant. I've imposed a cooling off period of a few days from the felt, whether live or virtual. I've had a lot on my mind, and in the absence of John Turturro's character to send me back in the right direction, I've taken to reading (rather absorbing) everything I can from the poker forums, blogs, and my own personal poker library. It's brought me focus. I'd like to think that in my state of mind I would have listened to Knish and not mixed it up in the first place with the "Mad Russian." Had that cup of coffee and headed off to that soft seat in Queens... Yeah you all know the friggin' quotes as well as I do. Of course I also recall the particular Christopher Young jazz track which was playing in the background...

I'm about ready to walk (not run) back to the tables, and my 4-tabling ways. The soul-searching is at an end. I am emboldened, yet humbled. I'm prepared to make the "right" moves at the appropriate times. Regardless of outcome... the same correct choices each and every time. This is not a game for the timid. Play the role. Don't play the game on autopilot, think and reflect at all times. There is no other way for long-term success. Play within your means. Abide by your own rules, at all times, not just when they're convenient. Time to play!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: