Thursday, March 19, 2009

Time for Tri-C Baseball

I'm really pleased with the group of boys that I picked up in the baseball draft on Tuesday night. I've got a few that right away I'll have to get started with on pitching. Some of them show a particular knack for it, and simply need some instruction in mechanics. The team can easily make use of as many as 5 pitchers in a season, what with the strict limits on the numbers of innings/pitches per week that they are allowed to actually pitch. It's the only way to keep the kids from blowing out an arm. Actually I think it's to keep some moron of a coach, hell-bent on reliving some previous glory day, from destroying the kids' arms for them. There's a lot of ego in the coaching staff's in these recreation leagues. I have absolutely no glory days to relive. I wasn't an athlete as a child. I'm not an athlete now. (Although, I'm sticking to my running consistently from 3-4 miles about 4+ times a week now. I'm also trying to lift weights 2 or 3 times a week as a cross-train exercise.) Okay, I'll stop tooting the ole horn!

My goal for the kids on my team is to teach them baseball fundamentals, teamwork, and self-worth. I want them to learn pride as well as humility. I want them to know what it is to win, and the hard work necessary to accomplish it; and conversely know what it is to lose and use it as a tool for improvement, rather than as an absolute. Maybe you think I've got it all wrong. Maybe I'll be nice and tell you, that you're entitled to your opinions... My goals and commitments are to the kids, and I'll do my best by them.

Know this, that wherever we get to... we'll get there together.
Practice starts Monday! Tri-C Baseball Fever... CATCH IT!

And in other news, don't forget March 20th, Friday at 7:30pm we have a poker tournament at the Eagles, $25 buyin. Hope to see bunches of you there!

Regards,

cheer_dad

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dear Blogger –



I have been reading your blog, and found it to be very useful and interesting.

I have a site you may find interesting as well, and I would like to discus a partnership with you.



If you are interested, please content me at Ellen_simpson@mail.com.


Ellen