Monday, September 01, 2008

It's a sad, sad day indeed






The forces of evil did conspire against us during our annual Labor Day Extravaganza, and allow the motley crew pictured to the left to bring the reign of the South Side to an end in the Volley Ball Championship of the World! For once the North Side emerged victorious. The 2nd game was a real nail biter and they poured on the heat in a late rally to win by two points 23-21. Despite my sour grapes I know everyone had a great time playing yesterday, and I'm sure a number of us have a few extra bruises and aches and pains to show for it. Congratulations to the North on the win (despite the fact that they did have to call in for family reinforcements this year from Bridgeport!)

The festivities began yesterday at 2:00pm with the cookout, all the while a number of pick up games of cornhole were played. The volleyball tournament got underway around 4:00pm. After the the North's victory the court was handed over to the younger crew, who frankly put us ALL to shame. They're all a bit more limber than we are. The volleyball playing didn't come to an end until the sun completely disappeared and the candles just weren't enough to see by anymore. People began then to say their goodbyes and headed back home. But a few of us die hards, undeterred continued on. The beer began to flow a bit more heavily at that point... and of course the cards and chips made their appearance. Somewhere just before 4:00am the ragtag group that remained playing poker finally called it a night. Big Red had to carry me and my small loss, and still she came out with a respectable profit of $50. I believe JJ was the big winner on the night, with a $80-ish profit, I think! Congrats!

In all throughout the day, we had 68 people at the house. I thank you all for making it a great day, and plan on it again next year. In the off-season I think I'll be working on a few more stretches. : )

Have a great Labor Day!

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: