Thursday, September 04, 2008

Ponderables


Thinking at Hell's gate
Originally uploaded by innoxiuss
Last night was busy, for no good reason. I finished work and made it home at 4:00pm, and immediately began to put together a weight bench that my mother-in-law had bought for my son and I. I don't know why she did it, unless my son made the request, or maybe she just thinks I'm getting a little too flabby around the edges. Either way, I'm not complaining, I'd been wanting to get one, and so it was a nice surprise. Now, I'll just have to discipline myself to do it. But I'm getting ahead of myself. Anyway, I opt to put the bench together in the garage, since I wasn't exactly sure where Big Red was going to want it placed in the house. So, I got a workout of a different sort, sweating my ass off in the sauna that was my garage. It was like rendering a pig! Is it healthy to lose that much water weigth?!?

So, along with some help from my son, I get the twisted mass of metal together, just in time for Big Red to get home and tell me, that it needs to go to the basement, and ask why I'm all sweaty!?! So I get that done, and get things setup to my satisfaction. (Pant pant...) Is it a bad sign when you're winded from setting up the exercise equipment? : )

Meanwhile, Teresa and Cole take off from the house just as Whitney is getting home from cheer leading practice. I tell her that since I'm already sweating to death, I'm going to go ahead and run on the treadmill for 30 minutes. I do that, while she grabs a bite to eat, and gets started on her homework. I do my run, get the runner's high, shower and head down to grab a bite to eat myself. By the time I finish, Teresa calls. She's getting her nails done and asks me to go pick up Cole from the church, where he went with his cousins, for a special program. I head there, and pick him up, and realize it's already 8:30.

When we get home, I herd him toward the shower, while I check back on Whitney's homework progress. Her laptop is irritating me, slightly. I'm not really all that fond of Windows Vista. It's a resource hog! And she never bothered to tell me that she didn't have MS Word on it, since all she ever used it for before was IM'ing and MySpace nitwittery. But nonetheless she's using WordPad, which will suffice. Then, she finishes up and brings me the laptop to proofread the paper. It looks good, although WordPad doesn't have a frakkin' spell checker. At this point she tells me that she's having difficulty connecting to the internet, tonight. Then she wants to know if she can print to my printer, which I'm stunned that she's never done that before today. Grrrr... So, I begin to set it up, which isn't going so well at all. I'm getting lots of OS flack, about connection errors and "insufficient memory to add printer." Yes, there were some dicey WTF moments in there folks.

Somewhere between Suddenlink dropping my connectivity and an issue with her system not connecting to the Workgroup, let's just say that dear ole cheer_dad snatches up the laptop and heads downstairs and retypes the paper in a few minutes on his computer and prints the thing out. Then I keep the laptop for the remainder of the late evening to work out some of the bugs.

I cycle the cable modem, and my wireless router, and the main computer, and Whit's laptop and voila get internet and workgroup connectivity. Try to add the printer and get the same "memory" errors, so I research quickly and find a workaround to the problem. Yes, it's a known issue with Vista. Go figure. Then, I download OpenOffice and install it on her system, so she'll have wordprocessing, spreadsheet, and presentation capabilities. That finishes up just before 11:00pm.

I go to do one last thing, before calling it a night, and find that something has gone wacky again with the wireless connectivity, again. This time it's not Suddenlink and every other computer in the house seems fine. I'm raising serious eyebrows now at Vista. Me and that OS are going to have words. If it troubles me again tomorrow or over the weekend, little blond girl this sucker's got a fresh XP installation in its future. But I finally call it a night.

Around 11:45 my head hits the pillow. Somehow, I get to stay in the bed last night. Either my snoring wasn't too offensive to my wife or she took pity and suffered through it.

Still, my night was plagued by some weird dreams. The weirdest of which I recall as I woke up to it at 5:00am, prior to the alarm going off. As I headed for the shower, I mentioned that I'd been dreaming and recapped the plot briefly to Teresa, so I'd be able to remember it myself.

In my dream, she and I had just got in the car to go to the Eagles. We were at home, but home wasn't home, it was mom and dad's old house at Mineral Wells?! I remember it because of the driveway, which overlooks the fields from atop the hill. As I'm backing out of the drive on a chilly winter evening, my headlights shine across something that makes me stop. There shown in my glaring high beams, is a baby crawling up through the yard, in a red set of footy pajamas, trimmed in blue. I guy pick the kid up, a boy by the way... and bring him back to the car where Teresa and I start discussing what to do with him and figure out where he came from. In the midst of our discussion an announcement comes across the radio that there's been a car wreck, involving a couple from "Pennsylvania" and that they were both either killed or seriously injured (I'm fuzzy on that part) but that an infant had been ejected from the car, but was now nowhere to be found. The police gave out a number to call, which we made note of and headed back to the house. All I could think of was how cold the baby was, although he seemed pretty happy at the moment. But I was worried that we didn't have any diapers, baby clothes or any bottles in the house to take care of him. Then, I woke up...

Now, here at work... I'm exhausted from thinking about it all. What's it all mean? I dunno, and I'm not sure I really want to know.

Tonight's going to be busy again, as Whitney has to cheer tonight for the JV game at Erickson Field. Somewhere in there dinner will be eaten, homework will be done. I don't know if all that will preclude a visit to the Eagles for drawing night or not. All I can say is, if I do get to head up there this evening, there better not be a baby crawling through my yard. There are books written about mental illness like this, aren't there... Thank goodness it'll be Friday tomorrow.

Anyway, hope you're having a less confusing day than I am.

Regards,

cheer_dad

No comments: